Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wonder Soil

Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 12, 06 at 10:26

Came across this product in my web wanderings, and thought it was interesting. Especially for folks like me, who have space/storage issues.

Wonder Soil

Has anyone ever seen this before, or better yet, used it??

PV

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wonder Soil

I've never heard of it before, but if others have and it worked, I will be getting it.

o

I've not seen that before but I have used straight coir and liked that. You can get bricks of coir from pet stores where it is sold as bedding. I've also seen it offered by companies who sell hydroponics supplies.

o

I would be concerned that is would hold too much water and the seeds could mold and rot.

o

Hi PV, that looks very interesting. It wouldn't hurt to have some on hand, I have used a product in the past that was made from coir.

I'm sure you've seen ads for pre-seeded flower gardens that are in squares that you just put on top of the soil, or also come in round shapes to fit containers. DH brought some home one year so I went ahead and tried it. The coir really expands to keep the seeds moist enough to sprout.

Of course Wonder Soil doesn't come pre-seeded, so my guess is that it would be perfect for container growing. I think it certainly is worth trying once to find out whether or not you want to use it again. If you decide to try it, let us know if you like it.

Mary

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 9:42

Thanks for the feedback. littleonefb - I hadn't really thought about using it for seed-starting. I do have a lot of houseplants in addition to the terrace plants; keeping big bags of soil is beginning to present a storage problem for me.

I think I'll buy one and see what it's all about......

PV

o

• Posted by nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 10:19

Looks like it's mostly coir which I love using. It holds just the right amount of water and has a great texture. Coir is a renewable (coconut hulls) resource so it is preferable to using peat.

I ordered a few of the coir tablets last time I bought my coir blocks but I haven't used them yet. You are suppose to be able to put a tablet in a certain sized pot, add water, and let it fill the pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here