Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Everyone Is Happy With A New Sprout...

Posted by nancy_drew 5 nw chgo burbs (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 11:00

'Fir tree' sprouts in man's lung

Surgeons in Russia were astounded to find what they say is a 5cm fir tree growing inside a man's lung.

Artyom Sidorkin, 28, visited doctors in the central city of Izhevsk complaining of intense chest pain and said he had been coughing up blood.

After consulting X-rays, doctors were "100 percent sure" Mr Sidorkin had a tumour and decided on surgery to remove the cancer.

But when they opened him up, surgeons instead found a small fir tree growing inside his lung.

"I thought I was hallucinating," said surgeon Vladimir Kamashev.

"I asked my assistant to have a look: 'Come and see this we've got a fir tree here'. He nodded in shock. I blinked three times as I was sure I was seeing things."

Dr Kamashev said he believed Mr Sidorkin must have inhaled a fir seed, which sprouted inside his lung and began growing into a tree.

The pain he felt was caused by the plant rubbing against his capillaries, Mr Kamashev said.

"It was very painful but to be honest I did not feel any foreign object inside me," Mr Sidorkin said.

"I'm so relieved it's not cancer."

The discovery has not been independently verified.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Fir tree' sprouts in man's lung

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Everyone Is Happy With A New Sprout...

Well. I'm speechless. Wow!

o

Hmm, think of all the times when you were a kid that you were told not to swallow apple or watermelon seeds because they would grow in your stomach...

o

Kids, that's why you're not supposed to put peas up your nose.

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 22:54

Or swallow your gum. Geez Louise, I've been trying to germinate tree seeds for 8 years now - no luck. To think that all I needed to do was inhale the friggin' seed!

PV

o

That's more than a sprout. That's a years worth of growth on that seedling. Makes me wonder, I don't think it could live that long without light.

o

• Posted by dorisl 5 NW Chicago burbs (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 20:43

I dont believe it.

I guess it could get oxygen, but like you said above, how was it able to turn green without light? I smell a rat!

o

I do believe it. There's a whole lot of germination and even plant growth that takes place inside a very dark compost heap. Those worm bins are especially good at it. Why is a seed, germinated inside a wet paper towel, in the dark refrigerator, green? I also think that it's a bit hard to determine just how big the sprout/seedling was, from a close up picture.

o

True or not, it's a great story!

o

Makes me think I should hold my breath while emptying a packet of seeds into a container!

Linda

o

Posted by dorisl:
"I dont believe it.
I guess it could get oxygen, but like you said above, how was it able to turn green without light? I smell a rat!"

You know Doris, you did ask a good question about light. I don't think our insides are ask dark as it seems. Have you ever held your hand over lit a flashlight? Our bodies are not really solid, our skin actually breathes. If our skin can absorb drugs through the use of a patch, absorb water, etc, then why not UV light rays?

This would make for an excellent episode of Myth Busters!

o

I am skeptical as well. I can seed it may have had good sprouting conditions, but in order to "grow green" it does need light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here