Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are You with Your Garden Clean-up and Plans?

Posted by lblack61 z5 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 4, 06 at 12:03

How's everyone else doing with their garden clean-up and plans?
I'm happy to say, my beds are-- in general...minus adding compost and giving the soil a good working-- ready for the sprouts!
Finally, I got outside and did the clipping of dead stalks, the definitive raking, and some hoeing. I moved my Butterfly Flower from the way-too-shady spot it was in last year (which I think made it develop the nasty rust last year) to an all day sun spot.
I pulled up little compact plants of catnip that reseeded...anyone needs any, I've got tons. A couple of times I set the clumps in front of my kitties (who were outside lounging around me in a semi-circle as I worked) to spoil them more than they already are.
I found Chamomile in tiny clumps that had reseeded from last year and some Lupine seedlings. I put them in some spots where if they grow it would be acceptable. This came along with evening out some of the boundary-lines of the beds and planning exactly what I want to go where.
The big job is going to be putting a new bed in where the pool is. That is going to have to wait for a load of dirt and manure so when I put the cardboard down, it doesn't blow away-- and when I start that Lasagna bed, I have to call my FIL. He wants to see how I do the L-bed.
But I feel like I got a big chunk of my Spring work done yesterday. Everything else (other than the ex-pool area) will be an "as-you-go- process. Whew!
Pictures of Monday:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are You with Your Garden Clean-up and Plans?

You've done a lot of work in one day. Your garden looks yummy. Did you save any of the blue double cascade Petunia seeds? Are you sowing them this year? May I trade for some of the seeds this summer? I am firing ? at you now and begging in one breath. LOL. I'll have a lot of seeds to trade this summer.

You also have a lot of company while you garden. How wonderful.

Thank you for sharing.

o

Yeah, those dble cascade petunias became one of my favorites really quick. I don't recall saving seeds for them, unless they are mixed in with the other petunia seeds I saved. I don't recall seeing a plant with seed pods on them like on the regular Petunias. The DCPs seemed to grow much slower than the others. I WSed double the amount this year, so I will try to save seeds for you and send them.
Yes, I have a lot of garden company. They love seeing their "Ma" dig in the dirt.
Good thing I got all that work done...it is FREEZING outside now. Looks like it will be until at least next Tuesday with another switch back to cold after that. :-(

o

Wow! Beautiful pictures, lblack! I am inspired. I haven't done anything productive in the garden this week, other than dig up a huge clump of peony roots that were in a bad spot (kept getting run over), and weeding a bit. My herb bed from last year has lots coming back, and I'm hoping to fill in the gaps with new things this year.

Those petunias WERE gorgeous! :o) Thanks for posting pictures!

Angel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here