Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a beef: Birdfeeders

Posted by lblack61 z5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 07 at 12:50

It annoys me when you go looking for a birdfeeder, the feeder says (and looks) like it would be good for the birds you want to have go there, and THEN....
...the birds do not like it. It is too high, the pecking room isn't wide enough in position to the part that contains the food, etc., etc.
What is WRONG with Birdfeeder designers!!!!

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a beef: Birdfeeders

Not enough of them try the new birdfeeders in their back yards?

Seriously, I wonder if many designers or sellers actually TRY a product in real life before marketing it. I've wondered that about LOTS of things. Why should birdfeeders be any different?

Laurel

o
RE: I have a beef: Birdfeeders

LOl...a few years ago I mentioned I would like to have a birdfeeder on a pole outside the dining room window.

Low and behold DBF made me one...it was a huge monster. I was just 'got' yet it was so sweet because he had naver made me anything b4, and is not much one to tinker with woodworking.

Well, it was entirely TOO big for where I had 'planned' to put it, so it went at the edge of the front yard woods...in the woods viewable from my favorite 'easy' chair.

It is a simple platform feeder with a roof. I can put anything in it, and something will eat it. The birds have a pecking order, and I see different ones throughout the day.

It is even big enough that the crows and squirrels frequent it. I sometimes put stale bread out there, and crows have been known to carry it off a whole slice at a time.

I've found platforms to be the best, and that the hummers prefer feeders with perches.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here