Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Top Chef!

bakemom_gw
16 years ago

I'm loving the new Top Chef. There are some interesting characters and the food has been fun. I must say that I was disappointed with the last episode with Rick Bayless - here's a Mexican food guru and they did a street party with corndogs. Boo.

I did enjoy the taco challenge, I just wish the elimination challenge was upscale Mexican food as well.

Comments (6)

• dawiff
    15 years ago

Bakemom,

I come to the Conversations side so seldom, I always forget about it. I've been watching Top Chef too, my DH and I set aside Wednesday evenings every week for it and watch together. I like the contestants and challenges very much this time around, almost as much as the first season. Harold is and perhaps always will be my favorite winner. Some day I WILL eat a meal at Perilla.

Do you have any favorite cheftestants this season? So far I really like Stephanie and Richard. I'd sooooo like to see a woman win. Steph got through last week's challenge by the skin of her teeth, I really thought she was a goner.

Do you read the blogs on Bravo.com? I love Tom's and Ted Allen's, and Harold is always such a straight shooter on his. His comments always seem right on the mark. Also LeeAnne's. I love her behind the scenes stuff.

Have you ever made any of the recipes?

• rlindaromero
    15 years ago

I love this show! I've been watching it every week. I have never been on bravo.com...I'll have to check it out now. :)

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm thinking Richard and Stephanie too. I like Lisa and Dale's cooking, but they lack professionalism in some respects. Antonia - she's good, but we'll see.

I cook to this show all the time and while I don't make their exact recipies, if they are on a seared scallop bingel for example, I will make seared scallops. Interestingly enough, my seared scallop recipe is from Ted Allen!

Glad Mark is gone, now waiting for Spike to follow. Dude, stand behind your dish!

The website is a riot. They also have fun games like match game and rate the plate. It's a nice treat to take a break there during a hard work day.

• dawiff
    15 years ago

Well, for once I'm actually happy with the final four. My three favorites are in, and I don't see the fourth, Lisa, taking the title. She's too one-note, like Dale. I liked him, and I do think he went too soon, but all he did was Oriental, and he didn't inspire leadership.

I so loved seeing Harold in last week's episode. So far he is my favorite winner, the one I think most deserved to win and did something constructive with his winnings.

I will be happy whether Stephanie, Richard or Antonia win. I like Stephanie a lot, and I always root for her, but she lacks confidence. Richard and Antonia both have the leadership skills that a great chef needs.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Antonia gone! I'm so sorry about that.

Cool that Richard won a car. How does he get it back to the mainland?

I haven't eaten plantains in years. Will have to research this and perhaps introduce my kids to this fruit. Seems I pan fried them, salted them and then flattened them with a mallet.

Anyone have any ideas?

• lblack61
    15 years ago

Well, I finally caught up to this season's Top Chef and got to see the last three shows. I'm still hoping to catch a marathon so I can see how each person was eliminated.
    A female finally won!
    But I'm still surprised the Richard didn't win. But a car is cool. I think he'll get some phone calls from a few of the guest judges to come work for him.

Plaintains:
    Just slice and fry. I think some people batter them, but I fry them as is, in a pan where they will get crispy on the edges. I never tried flattening them with a mallet. That sounds interesting-- because I like mine thin instead of thick, but it is difficult for me to slice them thin and have them not fall apart in the pan. So using the mallet might help them keep the mass, while still being thin enough to not fall apart in the pan...which means they'll fry up EXTRA crispy! Mmmmmmm.

Linda

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor