Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas in April...

Posted by retiredprof 7 - Northern DE (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 17:20

instead of Easter? It was for me here today. WOO HOO as Token says. Just took delivery of my "big box" of perennials from Bluestone. WOW! They look terrific. Eleven different kinds, some multiples. I placed them outside in a shady spot and watered according to directions. They'll go in next week (I hope).

Plus, PLUS, are you all ready? My new camera and a host of accessories were delivered at the same time! I was weak-in-the-knees and almost went down in front of the UPS man. It was all I could do to even sign the electronic receipt.

So...I'm opening boxes and listening to tunes on Pandora. Now feeling randy, I've decided to make Puttanesca and listen to the call of the Italian sirens to finish off the evening. Oh, and a little vino, too.

I should do this every month.

Prof

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas in April...

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 18:07

Watch it, Prof! Don't want to wear yourself out.

Those Bluestone plants are pretty neat, aren't they? Is this your first time? Ordering from Bluestone, that is ...

And we await pictures - what camera did you decide on?

PV

o

Sounds like you are all set for a good weekend.
Good luck w/your plants.
Hope to see pictures soon.
Bonnie

o

PV: Yes, Bluestone was my first time. But then I have "first times" every three years. :-)

The plants really are fantastic--larger than expected, clearly labeled, and in great condition. Very impressed with the packaging and obvious care to make sure they arrived in good condition.

As for the camera: As I'm sure you've figured out, I'm a world traveler-- hiking through the Galapagos, the rainforests of Costa Rica, the Italian villages during summer. There was no doubt I needed a major piece of equipment to respond to every photo opp.

I went with a Panasonic Lumix TZ-5 because of the Leica zoom lens (I'm a Leica fan from way back). I can now capture the mating habits of dust mites in low light. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the damn thing, make them "National Geographic" quality and upload them to some site so I can share.

Seems like a little overkill to catch pics of tomatoes in second leaf, but we'll have some fun!

Prof

PS: FYI, I've never been out of the country. I've lived in Delaware for ten years and never been to the beach!

o

Dang, "I'm a world traveler-- hiking through the Galapagos, the rainforests of Costa Rica, the Italian villages during summer", thought I might want to be included on that excel list. Course, you'd have to wait cause my DH is a great guy and in excellent health. (wink)

o

So, I'm a little confused, prof; why in the WORLD would anyone ever want to photograph dust mites doin' the nasturtium--and why would you want to set mood lighting for them!?!

Glad to hear that all your goodies came in--you'll have a great couple of days getting it all figured out. For the record, who needs to go to the beach when ya' got a garden to tend!

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 15:09

Looks like you made a good choice on the camera, Prof. I'm partial to Carl Zeiss lenses myself, but that may well be because I really like Sony cameras.

Good luck with it - we'll be watching for some fabuloso pics!

PV

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here