Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

Garden Preparation

trudi_d
17 years ago

Does it ever end?

Dig the dendelions from the beds.

Remove and pot up or transplant the extra volunteer seedlings.

Dig out the hedge of ornamental grass which has suddenly gotten huge. Pot up clumps afer finding big-enough containers.

Cut back the grapes and make grape wreathes. I did five big ones too!

Transplant some shrubs and shrublets.

Water and feed some plants that need water and food.

Mow. Rake. Dig. Turn.

Dog Bombs. Sigh.

Clean and reorganize garage.

Clean the patio furniture and barbecue.

And maybe tomorrow I'll snap some picts of seedlings and do some transplanting.

For now...asprins, takeout, tigerbalm and zzzzzzzzzzz.

Comments (9)

• PVick
    17 years ago

So much work! Scary. The more I learn about ground-gardening, the more I appreciate my concrete garden in the sky.

But, if I'm real honest, I can't wait to get my hands in some "real" dirt!

Hope your muscles are cooperating today!

PV

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks PV...I often envy your piece of the sky. When Hubs and I were newlyweds we had an apt in Long Beach with a balcony. After all the plants there was a little space for two small fold up chairs. Today I dug out the rest of the ornamental grass hedge and got them all potted. I offered them to a neighbor but her husband who would have had to dig them in, wasn't keen on them.

Oh well.

Hugs,

T

• neonposey
    17 years ago

Oh Trudi - I feel your pain... LITERALLY... I can hardly move from my marathon outside today. GROAN.....

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got up this morning and I think my yaboos and my butt are both an inch higher. Right before dinner, I decided to add to my lament and transplanted a dozen crepe myrtles into the row that used to hold the grass. Then to continue my suffering I dug up a humongous clump of iris, divided that and put in front of the crepe myrtles.

This morning's self -orture begins wiht hanging clean curtains in my office and then sorting and filling about fifty SASEs.

• bonnys
    17 years ago

Oh I would just love to have a marathon day out in my gardens. Maybe this weekend. I have a lot of clean up to do now that it is finally spring and still want to plant out more seeds ws style. Dog bombs?... ;~0 Katie has blessed us with plenty through the winter...lots of work there. On a happy note....my late after work tours around my gardens are showing lots of growth. I am particularly happy that the blue Hydrangea DH gave me for my birthday last May did not succumb to the horrendous spring we had. It has lovely little green leaves. BTW Trudi, I am preparing a pack of leftover seeds and seeds on sale to send to you.....sorry to add to your work. LOL, especially since I am so glad you introduced me to wsing with my pack of free seeds....SPREAD THE SEEDS/WORD!!!!
    Bonny

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Bonnie! Your seeds are a welcome gift!

Trudi

• lblack61
    17 years ago

Trudi,
    Eww...I think I prefer not to list what I have to do. Seeing it makes me feel worse...lol.
    Remember, for your back's sake, "work smarter, not harder".

Linda

• laurelin
    16 years ago

I'll be really glad to have a marathon day in the garden. I had a hysterectomy a couple weeks ago, and I can't dig/haul/work like I normally would at this time of the year. I can sit to weed, and I can transplant small stuff (i.e. winter sown stuff!) with a hand trowel. My DH will help me do bags of mulch in a week or two. I can't WAIT to really have a sweaty, dirty, grubby-nails, twigs-in-my-hair, achy-muscles, where's-the-bug-spray, need-a-shower-NOW work day.

It's a blessing to be able to work so hard at something so satisfying. I hope your muscles ease up on you so you can do another round of garden work this weekend.

I have to go - my [an hour and more later. . . .] kids need some attention. And my house.

Laurel

• neonposey
    16 years ago

oh baby, baby.... oops i did it again.....

if pain is any indication, my yard is gonna look fabulous this year!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!