Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Madagascar Jasmine Anyone?

Posted by soaprah 6-MA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 18:57

Hi:

I saw these Madagascar Jasmine plants in a local store that were in bloom and the fragrance was intoxicating. They cost about $30.00--so I did not buy one because I am just not good with houseplants.

I did however order some seeds and was wondering if anyone has grown this plant from seed. I am sure the WS method for these would not work in my zone, but I figured, I could try to start one in my unheated three-season room.

Anyone ever grow these from seed?

Thanks for your help!

Soaprah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Madagascar Jasmine Anyone?

Yes, I did. Several years ago. At that time I didn't know anything about WS so I sowed it indoors. It grew. I sent the plant to my sister in Thailand to plant outsoors instead. It took a couple years to bloom, but boy is it a beauty.

Good luck with yours.:-)

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 21:39

I did too, indoors as well. I set it outside for it's first summer (2002), but it has been strictly a houseplant since then, sitting in a bright window.

For me, it started out very slow-growing - for about two years, it really didn't look like it was doing much other than staying alive. Then all of a sudden, I looked up one day and the thing has a shoot about 18" long! Since then, it has been growing very well, putting out vines all over. It has not bloomed, although it supposedly can bloom inside. It doesn't have optimal growing conditions (pot too small, not enough sun/light, etc.), but it's a healthy plant, and the foliage alone is quite pretty.

I'm thinking of repotting and putting it outside this summer, see if I can get some flowers on it. The fragrance is heady.

Oh, they were relatively easy from seed - they germinated in about a week (inside, on top of the fridge) - but the seedlings were very slow-growing. I think they should be okay in your 3-season room, but it might be a good idea to bag the whole container.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

PV

o

Thanks to both of you for the reply. I actually planted the seeds in little clear solo plastic cups and I placed another cup on the top with a few slots for air and taped them together--so--I guess it's bagged in a way!

Thanks again. We shall see how i do with this!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here