Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Surprises

Posted by woodenzoo z6 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 19:42

I've spent most of the day in the yard. Got rid of some weeds and planted out some flowers and veggies.
I'd say that about 2/3rds of the containers I've wintersowed have sprouted so far. I noticed today, that the Bells of Ireland and the Irises that I've been so worried about have started to sprout and the Blackberry Lilies sprouted about a week ago.
The Japanese painted fern that I brought last year and went downhill quickly after plunking it in the ground has come back! That was a BIG surprise! lol Thinking of digging it up and putting it in a hanging basket, hmm...
Another surprise was that after moving some containers around while deciding where to plant them, I noticed that the hostas that I planted were coming back up! lol When I started to wintersow, the hostas had died back and I hadn't marked where they were so all my containers ended up on top of them! So that was a nice surprise to find today!
My strawberry plant that I overwintered is blooming to beat the band too! lol
Since this wintersowing, and the seed exchange and all the great (and generous!) traders, and well, really, GW in general, I'm beginning to think I'm getting a green thumb! So, I just thought say "thanks" for all the advice and thought I'd share a few of my garden surprises and see if others have some garden surprises that they'd like to share too!
Thanks!
Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Surprises

sending to the bottom

o

Garden surprises - well, I've got TONS of sprouts from the tomatoes that fell on the ground and composted themselves at the end of last season, but only TWO sprouts from my wintersown ones (2 jugs). I suppose I could just let the self-sowns grow, but they're in a most inconvenient place. I may just transplant a hunk of them and see what grows. The winter sown babies sulked and sulked over the cool weather we've had, but today they look a little better (it was 90 and humid, and they obviously loved it).

Laurel

o

I was so put out that my perennial sweet peas from Park's Seeds had failed to germinate a couple of years ago, that I actually got another packet free from Park's. I don't always manage to get all my winter sown containers planted out, but one day two years ago, I noticed something growing in the middle of my creeping jenny groundcover. I didn't recognize what it was, but someone here responded to a photo I posted and confirmed it was the missing sweet pea vine. Luckily, the vine was growing right where some guy wires were keeping my husband's weather station secure, and now for the second year I have lovely flowers almost completely covering the wires.

A surprise this year involves Cleome. As I enlarged our garden beds a few months ago, I hauled the excavated dirt to our back property line and built a berm. We've added many bags of very cheap fill dirt from Home Depot to the berm, and now the berm is about 4' tall and 12' long. Imagine my surprise to discover Cleome growing lustily in one part of the berm!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here