Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Keeping things in perspective

seedmama
15 years ago

Two weeks ago, then again at the beginning of the week my biggest weather concern was the peas. Today I've been grumpy because steady 40-50 mph winds with 60-75 mph gusts have kepts me from putting my tomatoes in the ground. On a lark I turned on the seldom used TV to discover that Oklahoma is alive with wild fires. One is just 12 miles west of me, moving east. With winds like this they can't use air support to put the fires out. They're trying to dig ditches ahead of the fires, but it's not working so well. I'm sure we'll be fine, but the fact is people all over my state are losing their property and their homes. Somehow frozen peas, unplanted tomatoes, and the 20 foot tree now stretched across my driveway don't seem so bad.

Seedmama, contemplating the fate of others, including the goldfish

Comments (15)

• seedmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So for a time this evening I've been contemplating our own fate. The fire is to my west, moving east. Roadblock barring entry to the west is a mere 1/2 mile from my house. Evacuation orders have come within 1 1/2 miles of my house. The fire is still a little further away. By city standards, this is far. By country standards, it's not far at all. The air is thick with smoke and homes are on fire. We have packed our bags and put a note on the front door telling firemen the doorbell doesn't always work. Won't sleep well waiting for a knock on the door. I've moved the tree so we can get out, and the sprinklers are on. If we have to go, I'll take the container count with me, but the containers will have to stay.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I am hoping that the fire does not come to your home, seedmama, and you will not have to be evacuated. Amazing how quickly our lives and concerns can change.

• not_a_contessa
    15 years ago

Holy crap, that's really rough, I would not go to bed tonight, that fire is too close and you don't need to be breathing that smoke. Keep safe, I will pray for you and hopefully all will be well.

Mary

• monipsych
    15 years ago

Seed Mama, You'll be in my thoughts, and please keep us posted. I would be fearful as well, and not sleeping much. Hopefully the weather will break and help the firefighters get a handle on things. Monica

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Seedmama: Where are you? All ok? Has anybody heard anything more? The fires are a top story on CNN this morning.

Prof

• seedmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're fine. Others are not. Varying reports regarding the fire next to me range from "100 structures lost" to "100 homes lost", which suggests some of the 100 could be barns and outbuildings. I know nothing of the other fires in Oklahoma, but I do know that high winds and drought are not acting in our favor. Thankfully, no lives lost.

Hubs asked me how I moved a tree with a 20 foot trunk out of the driveway. I honestly don't know. I would liken it to the urban legend about a grand piano being moved durig a fire, but I moved it before I knew how serious the situation was, so who knows?

We're being told not to get comfortable because there are still so many hot spots. The hope is that rain will come on Sunday and douse things well.

Thanks for all the kind and supportive energy.

• PVick
    15 years ago

Good to know that you are OK, seedmama. Hope it stays OK for you and yours. Have been following the news story this morning about these wildfires, and it sure is scary.

This is certainly a time when rain would be more than welcome -

PV

• token28001
    15 years ago

Good thoughts your way seedmama.

• seedmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This morning I thought I was okay, and physically, we are. But knowing that someone did this intentionally is tearing me up.
    When a tornado hits, it's terrible. Yet there is something different in knowing it was Mother Nature. How can one human being do something like this to another?

Here is a link that might be useful: News Coverage

• mayberrygardener
    15 years ago

seedmama,

My inlaws are in Oklahoma, and hubs grew up there, so we have been glued to the stories in the news. You have my sympathies--the not knowing if and/or when you gotta get out is so hard.

Colorado had some serious fires a couple years back--burned THOUSANDS of acres of old forest, homes, more. Come to find out that it was intentionally set by a firefighter that wanted some work; there were allegations of mental imbalance, but it still doesn't take away the hurt.

Please keep us posted as the weekend wears on, and know that you and all the people impacted are in my prayers. It sounds like you have the right perspective though; you really hold onto your loved ones, and we'll all do the same.

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Seedmama,
    This is awful,We do not have cable,so we do not get CNN news,i had no idea things were this bad,12 miles is way to close to be to fire,i pray that you will be safe,life can take a twist so quickly,please keep up posted if you are able,we will all be thinking of you,and sending positive thoughts your way.
    cAROL

• seedmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're still fine. There were lots of hot spots flaring up through Saturday. It rained all day Sunday. What a blessing. Now there's the not so simple matter of rebuilding lives for 100+ displaced families.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Seedmama - I'm glad you got the rain to cool things down. If I could have, I'd have sent you some of ours, we had 2" yesterday. On Easter. Sheesh.

Seriously, I really am glad you are fine, and that your property is undamaged. Living all my adult life in this part of the country, a fire this time of year is a stretch for my imagination but I did see the photos on television...I've never been to Oklahoma, but my dad was born in Butler.

Is your air clearing with the rain too? We've had forest fires close enough to get the benefit of the smoke...not fun at all, and so dirty if the wind is carrying any ash.

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Thank you seedmama for letting us know you are ok.I have thought of you so many times these last few days.What a blessing to be sure.
    Yes, is is so sad the 100+ homes are gone,in the blink of an eye, we all have a lot to be thankful for.
    cAROL

• seedmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Right now we're focused on helping my husband's co-worker get work appropriate clothing. Folks are quick to respond with toys and children's clothing, but the bread winners need attention too. Focusing attention on this task helps divert energy away from the anger I feel toward those who started the fire.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery