Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

I am so sad...

northerner_on
14 years ago

I just received the news that my uncle has died of pneumonia at the age of 92. He is my mother's last brother, and that leaves one of her generation alive. The reason I am so sad is that he has formed much of my love of the outdoors and digging in the dirt. I did so many things with him as a youngster and loved visiting his garden. He has never been sick - just stopped eating and drinking last Thursday, was admitted to hospital on Saturday and died today. He was an extraordinary gardener, could grow anything, beautiful roses, grafted plants the old way, grew prized birds, raised goats and chickens, could build anything for the garden. He was actively gardening until his death. I last visited him in 2006 and he gave me several sets of seeds, which I grew and shared with many of my gardening friends, so he will always be in my garden. Although I did not expect him to survive pneumonia at his age, I am still in a state of disbelief and I am so sad. He had a good long life and was well looked after by a very devoted daughter. He was very close to one particular grand-daughter just 9 years old, she must be so sad. Just wanted to share this news with you. Thanks for listening.

Northerner.

Comments (14)

• shoregrowin

Very sorry to hear of your loss Northerner... I collected seeds from my sister's garden after she passed and also winter sowed Dusty Miller for her name. I think of her every time I see them. I hope your tribute to your Uncle will keep him close to you. I will have some of your wanted seeds later in the season. Give me a shout and I'll send them your way. Take good care of yourself,

Shore

• shoregrowin

Very sorry to hear of your loss Northerner... I collected seeds from my sister's garden after she passed and also winter sowed Dusty Miller for her name. I think of her every time I see them. I hope your tribute to your Uncle will keep him close to you. I will have some of your wanted seeds later in the season. Give me a shout and I'll send them your way. Take good care of yourself,

Shore

• shoregrowin

Shore

• shoregrowin

Shore

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, Northerner!
    God bless.
    -B

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

How wonderful that you were able to learn from and share his love of gardening. Condolences to you and his family.
    Bobbie

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
    Sounds like you have lots of good memories and of course the wonderful gift of gardening and the love of the outdoors, that he gave you. Sincere condolences to you and your family.
    gg/Lois

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

Northener, he sounds like someone I would have loved knowing. I'm so sorry for your loss.

We lost a beloved neighbor at his same age not quite three years ago...healthy, vibrant and interesting. An unexpected fall/surgery took him from us too soon....I'm still surprised at how often and how much I miss him.

How wonderful you have things your uncle grew to keep in your garden, I hope they bring you pleasure many years to come.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

R,

I am really sorry to hear of your family's loss of such a treasured and loved one. My thoughts are with you in the days ahead.

Nicole.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss. Nothing can quite prepare you for such a loss.

How wonderful he left you some seeds! A growing legacy... right outside your door!

Morz8, we lost my grandfather much the same way as your neighbor. He was at a friend's home and fell backward down a few stairs, we lost him in surgery. God, I am just so grateful to have had him for as long as I did! He was my greatest blessing growing up. Sometimes, I think he still is.

• bakemom_gw
    14 years ago

Sounds like you might want to consider sowing a garden of grief and celebration. Let us know what we can do. It really helps some of us. Don't be afraid to ask.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much to everyone. Your kind words of sympathy are a source of great comfort to me. I spent the last two days feeling sorry for myself, just wandering around the garden not feeling like planting out the seedlings grown from his seeds. But Bakemon, you have given me a very good idea about the memory garden and I will start on that. Yesterday we had an area next to the shed cleaned up - old wood and left over lumber carted away, so I have a small space that I will devote to him. I have to look at the bright side - he did not suffer, had a good long life, and he has left me so much. He will be forever with me in my garden. You ladies are wonderful in so many ways - so glad I found you.
    Northerner.

• Deb Chickenmom
    14 years ago

Wish there was something to say that could make your loss easier. Your uncle sounds like he was a great inspiration and special influence on your life. You will think of him often as you garden and reflect that he would want you to be happy and healthy. Take care, Debby

• lblack61
    14 years ago

Northerner,
    I'm so sorry to hear that you lost someone so important to your life. It has to be difficult to be in the garden, considering how integral he was to your love of gardening. That's so sad.
    I always wonder how it feels, also, to be the last one of a generation in a family to be alive. Your uncle seems to echo a thought I have on that: when you are the part of a dwindling generation, the only thing left is to look to the youngest generation and it actually becomes a joy to do so, to share what you know and see the promise and hope in the eyes of the future.
    Since my parents died, I look at my nieces and nephews and DH's grandchildren (who I do consider mine as well), in a whole new way. My parents live in me by what they instilled in me. My nieces, nephews, and grandchildren know me and love me and have me by what I share with them. They are things we never forget.
    So grieve, in any way and for as long as you feel it. Joy returns when it does. Grieving comes and goes (and comes and goes). It's not something you can designate an end to...you just live, with all the beauty and sadness.

Linda
    (who is still working through grief, herself)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals