Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help please :) Design question & pics

Posted by krystine 5AOntario (My Page) on
Wed, May 17, 06 at 8:01

I come to you, my fellow plant lovers and collecters for advice! :)

I have struggled (some say, "obsessed") with my landscaping efforts since last year when I posted to the landscape forum asking for advice. I was told that my house begs for a formal design, and to rip out everything I had done. I had plunked a large flower garden on a berm in the middle of my lawn and put in a flagstone path that was deemed too wide.

Since that time, I have been thinking about how I could make the current design work. One of the things that was mentioned was that the garden bisects the yard too much.

Here's a pic of the house in April, when not much is in bloom, but you can see the yard and slope to the street:

Pic this spring

I plan on:
* Extending the path around the left of the garden and going toward the street
* Putting stairs on the path/slope (goes to mailbox/bus stop)
* Extending the beds next to the fence to curve out to meet the new path
* Attaching a huge trellis on the front of the house from the ground to the roof on the right hand side between the 2 windows (sweet autumn clematis?)
* Attaching a trellis against the neighbor's orange fence and growing heavenly blue morning glories

My question to you is... should I put beds on the slope and easement toward the street or would that really be too much? (I was thinking a xeric garden with orn. grass, rocks, sedum, etc).

Maybe there's nothing I can do that will make this design work, but I really hate grass :)

Any suggestions you could throw at me would be appreciated :)

Kristine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help please :) Design question & pics

Kristine
I am probably the last person you should ask about garden design.
I think your yard looks great. Grass is ugly. I love trellis with vines. Your plans sound fine to me. I say go for it.
Ron

o

Okay, I'm going to take the plunge and do it :) I think the neighbors are going to start calling me 'that crazy lady with all the plants!'

o

Your berm looks wonderful! I agree with Ron. Besides, how could a person ever have too many plants?

It's not hardy north of Zone 7, but I'm going to plant a Confederate Jasmine to cover my next-door neighbor's fence and to give my garden bed an evergreen background. I'm planning to attach those little doo-dahs that are cemented into place and have clips for the vine.

I've already been described as the lady with all the plants...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here