Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

This Year's Roses

Just wanted to share some of this year's roses with my friends...

As you can see from some of the pictures, there is plenty of space under the roses for more flowers. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was hoping to have larkspur, but the seeds that I direct sowed never germinated, and the larkspur seedlings that I wintersowed in containers melted away after I planted them out.

Lois in PA

Here is a link that might be useful: roses

Comments (5)

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

Lois, those are beautiful.

Love the way you've got that one tied across the railing. Such a pretty way to display the blooms.

They all look content and happy!

I had same experience with Larkspur (Valueseeds) and thought it was just something I did wrong. I have one tiny seedling just sitting there doing nothing. If you can't get them to grow I don't have a prayer...LOL. I wanted them for butterflies. I'll try again next year.

Congrats on gorgeous roses...they're not easy to keep looking like that.

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Beautiful roses! They all look so healthy. Love them all.
    Sadly this is the year I am giving up on most of mine. I am digging them out except for my lovely little 'bonica'. She has been so lovely and healthy, that I am letting her stay, although with a severe haircut this spring. I think there is another one that might be a keeper, but haven't made the decision yet.
    You sure have the special 'rose touch'. 8-)

• ajpa
    14 years ago

Those are amazing!!!!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm so glad you enjoy the roses! This is a good year for roses so far - we've been having an English (cool and rainy) May. It's been too cool for the blackspot to kick in, it's a little too early for the japanese beetles, and I don't know where the thrips are this year (but I hope they are happy there and don't come back). These roses will not look nearly as good in August because I don't use pesticides or fungicides. But most of them are in the back yard where they can suffer in solitude. Bonica is a nice, healthy little rose, I am glad you are keeping her, Greylady. Most of the roses that have done well for me are climbers and other roses that get pretty big. The hybrid teas just struggle along for a few years and then fade out.

I am not giving up on the larkspur just yet, but I confess I am a little discouraged. My next attempt will be to plant the seeds in the fall directly under the roses and cover the seeds with soda bottles or something so they get sun and a head start for next year. Maybe if they are bigger by the time the heat hits, they won't melt out.

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

I am also going the no spray route with my roses! They are mostly rugosas anyway-plus a few Old Garden Roses.
    Anyway-I've been planting things that will repel bad bugs. Feverfew,chamomile,lemon balm,garlic,chives, and something called fried eggs. I'm not sure how some of the flowers will look. so some I may not do next year. I also have some thyme growing in the cracks of the path.
    -B

Sponsored