Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever WS a plant and not realize ...

Posted by lblack61 z5 NY (My Page) on
Tue, May 23, 06 at 11:33

...you already had some in your yard?
I was weeding out by the Maximillian Sunflowers, an area that gets quite overgrown because I get bit a zillion times if it's above 50 degrees. I see this growing all in one sunflower and in the area:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I look online to see if I can find something that has the same tiny purple flowers because it has leaves JUST LIKE the Jacob's Ladder I WSed and transplanted.
It might be a different type, but I think it's in the same family. And it's all over the place in the far-back of the yard, but it wasn't there last year. Is it from a container I dumped last year? So many mysteries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever WS a plant and not realize ...

Could be some sort of vetch too. That was my first thought on seeing the picture. Those tendrils make me think vetch and not Jacob's Ladder. Which would mean you did sow it for the first time. :)

o

LOL..and maybe what I think is Jacob's ladder is ALSO vetch! Aughhh...nightmare (lol...I'm not too worried)
Is that the evil "crown vetch" that is invasive?

o

Could be the evil crown vetch. There are also several native vetches that are kind of pretty IMO. They probably are just as thuggish as crown vetch in a garden situation though. I WS'd what was supposed to be red vetch last year. This year it bloomed and it was crown vetch! I ripped that out quick. It had gone from a 4"x4" plant to about 3'x3' from late last summer to this spring. If it had been the native I was willing to deal with managing it but not for crown vetch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here