Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

My son got mugged

bakemom_gw
14 years ago

Last night in the Short North area of Columbus in the Goodale Park area. He was talking on his Blackberry and two guys approched him asking to use his phone. He said no and they punched him in the face and took the phone.

He's OK, but shook up. There's a police report and I will call the City Attorney's office Monday. They didn't take his wallet or his Volvo. It's just stupidity. I work in the courts and life is cheap there.

Comments (25)

• shoregrowin

That's terrible Bakemom... never understand that mentality of "Take what you want". How are you doing these days? Are there any leads? Sure glad to hear your son is ok. There are some harsh karma boomerangs coming their way, freakin @%*$~?#'s.
    Hope you have a safe and calm holiday. I hear a little chay chay is a nice balm to the spirit :)

Shore

• shoregrowin

That's terrible Bakemom... never understand that mentality of "Take what you want". How are you doing these days? Are there any leads? Sure glad to hear your son is ok. There are some harsh karma boomerangs coming their way, freakin @%*$~?#'s.
    Hope you have a safe and calm holiday. I hear a little chay chay is a nice balm to the spirit :)

Shore

• shoregrowin

Shore

• shoregrowin

Shore

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

OMG Bakemom,
    HOW SCARY,I am so happy for you all that he is ok,was it at night?How old is your son?
    What a wonderful thing to be thankful for,that someting awful did not happen to him.All for a stupid blackberry.
    Hug him tight.
    cAROL

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that! Stuff like that takes a toll on your sense of security! I worked at a White Hen, many years ago and was held up, it changes the way you look at people when you're in public.

Those idiots got him when they knew he was vulnerable... talking on his blackberry! Jeese... makes me think about my 14 year old being on his cell phone...

I hope they used that phone to call home!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

He's 23. The Short North is a revived area of town, but still on the fringe. Great restaurants and art galleries, but still not totally safe. He doesn't have any contusions, but his jaw is sore. He dropped to the ground and played dead so they wouldn't cut him or kick him.

I'm doing the mom stuff today with home cooked food and a little pinot. Those %^*s get caught, I will be there at their arraignment.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

"Those %^*s get caught, I will be there at their arraignment."

Hell hath no fury like a scorned mom!

Poor kid... The punch in the face and the Blackberry loss is crappy enough. I hate even to ask... were the contents backed up?

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Contents backed up. I don't think he's really over this. He's still in the aggressive anger stage.

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

"Never get in between a mother bear and her cub"
    -B

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

I'm glad your son is OK. That's the impostant thing here. I know it sucks that his Blackberry was taken and I'm sorry to hear that he got 'hit' for it. I'd be mad too. Lots of kids getting it for their MP3s around here. Things are sometimes a little too crazy in today's world.

I do want to wish you a Happy Mother's Day with your son. Hugs and kisses all around. :O)

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

You'll hate this one too...when I was a kid I was given a gorgeous turquoise portable radio for a grade school graduation gift. It was 1951 and it was probably bakelite. Later that summer, at the lake, someone came by our table and walked off with it while I was in the water. I'll never forget that radio, I wish the grown-ups at the table had been more watchful.

Thankfully your son is OK, and when they catch the b......s be sure they get their butts kicked big-time.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had a meltdown yesterday. Intellectually I knew he was fine and that the loss was minimal. However, I work at the court complex and walk in with rough folks all the time. I realized EMOTIONALLY that I could have lost my son in a second from three guys who were likely armed and didn't care.

I'm OK today.

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

The possibility of what could have happened gets you in the gut.

One of my nephews friends joined AmeriCorps and was working down in New Orleans last year. I don't know what they tell these kids before they go down there but it was all over the news how lawless the city still was by then. Never got back what little control they had before Katrina.

Kid hears strangers making noise around cars in parking lot outside his apartment and goes out at 2AM to make sure they're not messing around with cars. It's the wild west down there to this day in some neighborhoods...including where AmeriCorps kids can afford to live.

The kid got shot for just engaging them on their home turf. It was touch and go for a while but he made it.

He also got a lesson in the reality of some people's everyday lives and lost his desire to go into needy places and give service where his safety is in jeopardy.

Marginal places where an area is making a comeback are still dangerous particularly to those not used to growing up in those situations.

Thank goodness your son wasn't physically hurt worse and that he's got a mother like you, bakemom. You deserved the little meltdown time and people can relate who've been through a crisis as "the adult" and then get a flood of the "what if" emotions when you know the youngin survived without much worse.

• carrie630
    14 years ago

OMG just read this thread!! So glad your son is okay - this scares me as my son is the same age and i worry all the time about stuff like that. He has an I Phone and probably whips it out in open - but, hey - they go for wallets, etc. - It's rough out there.

So glad he is okay

Carrie

• lblack61
    14 years ago

:-(
    I don't understand, I don't understand.

For "things" people hurt other people.

If they use the Blackberry, they can get caught, can't they? (I'm a little technically behind, although I see kids at the college with all kinds of things all the time).

I'm sad that your son experienced this. I know I'd be in a rage if it were my child.

Linda

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Linda, I don't understand it either. I think it takes a sick person to attack an innocent person. I'm really sorry for what happened to Bakemom's son, I'm also sorry that there are so many emotionally bankrupt thugs around, creating an atmosphere of fear and anger.

What worries me, is that as long as the economy sucks, this kind of thing happens more and more. Law enforcement becomes an overwhelming task for many communities. We just have to be more aware, always stay alert.

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I see them all day long in court. They get up at midnight and all carry guns. You look into their eyes and nobody's home. Their relatives are all in prison and they don't think that's abnormal. It's white, black, asian, etc. A culture of violence. Even in little white collar Columbus.

Every once in a while I see a sad grandma or worn out mother sitting out in the lobby - I feel pain for them even though I have been told they don't deserve it. I am well educated and live in an upper middle class neighborhood, but I understand mother pain.

The economy doesn't help, but the culture of violence and the notion that life is cheap is firmly in place.

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

I just read this thread.
    I am so sorry to hear about your son. I am so happy to hear he is not seriously injured. I hope he will not have too many lasting thought over this.
    As well as everyone who has experienced this type of since less crime.
    The world is in such a sad state. Where have peoples values gone. Out with the garbage.
    I was robbed in my home 2 times in 2 months. It has been a year now. I still feel unsafe in my own home. It is crazy to think I have to keep my doors locked at all time.
    It helps to have neighbors who look out for you. You know the ones who some think are too nosy? Well that is the one who called the police because he thought something seemed wrong. I will never be able to repay him for his kindness.
    Bonnie

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

I just read this post. I'm sorry bakemom, glad he wasn't hurt badly.

I swear the whole world has turned violent. It's a shame when you have to be afraid to go out or to let your kids out, even if they are adults. They're always our kids and we can all relate.

Karen

• Deb Chickenmom
    14 years ago

Oh, Bakemom!! So very, very sorry to hear of your son's frightening experience! It seems so totally senseless and just wrong that people have so little sense of values as to do things like this...and worse. I hope your son is doing better and that you are OK too. Take care, Debby

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We are OK. Son flew out to San Diego for a post-graduation vacay with uncle and aunt. His father is sending funds to help with another blackberry. What makes me crazy is that they punched him to the ground for a blackberry which is worthless and didn't take his wallet or his Volvo S80. What was the punch for? Nothing.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Scary stuff! I had my son read this thread. Our contract was up with our old cell phone carrier, so we switched. My son and I just got new phones... well I got a new phone, but Michael got our son a freakin' Blackberry! He's only 14 and him whipping that thing out in public... dang! Scary!

• northerner_on
    14 years ago

Bakemon, I am so sorry to read of your son's mugging! I am so glad he is safe. A young man here was actually murdered for his iPod on a bus. They found the offender - a 19 year-old and he is in jail. I don't understand this 'gimme' generation. You work so hard for what you have and they want to take it, and hurt you too. Your son will need some time to get over this event. I hope it does not impact his life too much.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Northerner, please don't blame an entire generation for the acts of a few. It's never fair to paint everyone with the same brush! Besides, it only blinds you to the truly good and loving young adults out there, who's numbers far outweigh the bad.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler