Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

Does anyone use Merry Maids?

kqcrna
16 years ago

I need a new cleaning service and was considering trying this company. I've heard that they're very expensive so was wondering if their service is worth the price. Seems to me someone posted recently saying they use this service as a way to make more gardening time. Anyone have any experience with them?

It might be against GW rules to post comments on a specific company, I'm not sure. So if you could just email privately, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (8)

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

I used Merry Maids in Oklahoma and loved them. They went out of business here in Columbus and I use Molly Maids. Being a single parent with allergies, I can't live without it. Worth every penny to me.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Bakemom. I had them here for an estimate yesterday and they're coming Friday for the first time. Though they are pricey, I need some help and hope I'll have as good an experience as you did. Good to hear from someone I know ( or feel that I know) who can recommend them. I appreciate the input.

Karen

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They came Friday, first time, and I was impressed with the job they did. If they continue the same way I'll be very happy with them.

Karen

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Many of us single working mums try something. I know folks that do the individual cleaners etc., but it seems the best results are the companies who are bonded and screen. Some people do once a month, others once a week. I do every two weeks and it seems to work well for us.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I'm starting at every 2 weeks and will see how that goes. It's only my husband and me at home now but it's a fairly big 4 br, 2 1/2 bath house, a lot to keep clean. If they do a good job every other week I think it won't be such a job for me on their off weeks, just a quickie.

I need garden time!

Karen

• northforker
    16 years ago

I find that the "every other week" scrub and polish works well, been doing it for years with a private cleaner. Might run the vacuum around on the off week, but thats about it. Of course counters, sinks, etc still need maintance, but eliminating the tile scubbing/floor care (especially during gardening season) is a god send.

Over the years, we have occationally "stopped" the cleaning service when money was tight. After 2 months or so it is usually my husband who says "Lets just eat rice and beans and get them back!" because the stress of keeping up with the house (and 2 full time jobs and two kids)makes us all miserable. Too much conflict about whose turn it is to do what, etc. And during gardening season (which I have just turned into January to October as a new WSer!!!!!) I have NO time for a boring, thankless activity like dusting!

You'll love it....
    Nancy

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

Here's a little poem that expresses my thoughts on the subject!

She Dug The Plot On Monday

She dug the plot on Monday
    The soil was rich and fine
    She forgot to thaw out dinner
    So we went out to dine

She planted roses Tuesday
    She says they are a must
    They really are quite lovely
    But she quite forgot to dust

On Wednesday it was daisies
    They opened with the sun
    All whites and pinks and yellows
    But the laundry wasnÂt done

The poppies came on Thursday
    A bright and cheery red
    I guess she really was engrossed
    She never made the bed

It was violets on Friday
    ItÂs color she adores
    It never bothered her at all
    All the crumbs upon the floors

I hired a maid on Saturday
    My week is now complete
    My wife can garden all she wants
    The house will still be neat!

ItÂs nearly lunchtime Sunday
    And I cannot find the maid
    Oh No! I donÂt believe it!
    SheÂs out there
    With a Spade!!!

Author Anonymous

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ghoghunter: That's so true! I love the poen. I just emailed it to my husband at his office; he'll be able to relate to the sentiment.

I am using Merry Maids every other week, and I'm pretty impressed. Though pricey, they do a much better job than any of the private cleaning ladies I've used.

Karen

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!