Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impending Death in the Family

Posted by ccoupkir z5 Il (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 9:06

Well, it appears that my "almost" 22 year-old cat, Buckwheat (Buddy for short) is about to pass. She hasn't been eating well for about 6 weeks and hasn't eaten anything in the last 24 hours. Although she has been a "challenge" since the day we got her at 8 weeks, I have always believed in non-disposable pets. She was the first cat DH and I got together as a couple and it feels as if a door is closing. We've been prepared for her passing for over 2 years but it's still shocking. We have 2 other adorable and loving cats but this is still really hard. Know you guys will understand what I mean. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers for the next few days if you can.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impending Death in the Family

I understand and my heart goes out to you. Take care!

o

I understand as well. You are in my prayers. It is difficult but in time a new door will open, when you and hubby are ready, and it will be love at first sight. No it won't be the same, but it will be wonderful. That's what Buddy would want you to do. when you are ready, give your love, heart and home to a new kitty.

o

:-(
I will be praying.
That is so hard. I haven't had to deal with it yet, but as our cats and dog get older, it's on my mind how I will say "goodbye".
I don't have any words of advice, but I do have the ability to pray, so I'll be doing that. ((Hug))

o

My 20-ish tortie is still sprightly despite a bit of arthritis and bone-chilling howling fits. But my 16-ish tabby who is diabetic as going off his food - and I am worried. I know how you feel - it never gets easier. ((Hug)) - Anna

o

Oh Cheryl!

Sorry to hear Buddy's ailing. Small consolation: you've anticipated. If she doesn't pull through, you had time to say good-by.

Did she follow you in the garden as my 18 y.o. kitty Michelle used to when she was able? A favorite patch of sun or catnip? Consider a special site dedicated to Buddy when the time comes. You & hubs can continue to cherish her memory together as you tend it.

That's what I'm doing in memory of my Mom who died at 92 this spring, instilled my love of gardens. It really helps.

My heart with you,
Best, Ana

o

Well, Buckwheat has now moved on and is waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge. She left this world around 3:30 on Friday afternoon. Yesterday we placed her in a wonderful spot in the woodlands garden where she will always be remembered. Thanks to all of you for you support during this very difficult time.

o

My sympathy goes out to you and your family - I know how hard it is for you because we just put our cat down a few weeks ago - he stopped eating and had liver disease - it happened so fast we were shocked. He was only ten.

Buckwheat had a long and wonderful life and you certainly were blessed to have her for so many years - I hope you are doing okay - Carrie

o

I feel your sadness and know it hurts. Our little Annie, not even a year old, left us exactly two weeks ago and it seems that as the days go, it's getting worse for me. I had another - Igloo - of 18 years, and can't remember it being this difficult. Somehow, I just don't understand...

My daughter wants to adopt another around the first of August when she comes back from spending a couple of weeks with the grandparents. I hope my heartache subsides a bit by then.

My heart goes out to you.

o

One year ago Beetle died when the garage door malfunctioned and crushed her. She was 9. I'm still sick about it.

o

Ccoupkir, my heart goes out to you. Those furry creatures are "one of us".

I just started a posting for Wintersown Pets on the Gallery, perhaps if you have a picture of Buddy, you could add it to the posting.

o

Quite a few of us here on the WS forum have lost pets in the past, and we all know what you are going through. It's tough, no doubt about it. Hobie is buried next to the birdbath where the golden yarrow grows. He always loved watching birds, never once tried to catch one, so I think that's the right spot for him. I'll probably never stop missing him.

Mary

o

My heart goes out to you - just now I got news my PeeBee is not going to make it (I posted on June 28). Within the next 10 minutes he will be gone - I am at work - DH is taking care of things as I write. My heart is breaking....hugs to all who are grieivng like this.

Anna

o

Believe me as our 4 beloved dogs are getting in their older years we feel your pain! As much as anyone can be prepared for it nobody can ever REALLY be that prepared. Especially when people like you, I and others view their pets as family. We can't even discuss it without breaking out in tears in this house!

My thoughts are with you and Anna,

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here