Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lblack61

Mint Jelly Recipe

lblack61
14 years ago

Does anyone have a mint jelly recipe that they like and that works for them (i.e. JELLS like it's supposed to?)

I just tried my second found recipe and I don't think this one is gelling right either. I used unsweetened apple juice, powdered no-sugar pectin, and just half a cup of sugar.

The first recipe I tried required 4 lbs of apples and vinegar. I was interrupted while I was making it, and I screwed it up. It was syrupy rather than jellied, but if I had liked the flavor of it, I would have kept it-- but the flavor sucked. And the recipe was so labor-intensive!!!! (Not to mention using so many apples and discarding all the pulp...doing the latter was quite disturbing to me considering I don't like anything going to waste)

So if anyone has a tried and true mint jelly recipe, would you be willing to share it with me?

Linda

Comments (6)

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

funny...I googled "no fail" mint jelly, and got this recipe, which also touts that it is "tried & true." LOL. Doesn't look like they are wasting anything, either, unless I missed something.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mint Jelly

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Yup, they are straining this one.

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Ok, next...I found this discussion on the subject on a forum. There is a post about 3/4 way down by user "Pail" who apparently is saying his/hers is "by far the best"...
    Ignore if you already came across this in your search. There's 2 pages of the discussion...apparently there's an uproar about one of the measurements that Pail gives...LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Total France discussion on Mint Jelly

• lblack61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! :-)
    I checked my jars and this batch did set properly. I don't know what it tastes like, though (I'll leave that to hubby. I don't like mint jelly).

One thing, this batch is not nearly as pretty as the first batch I made with the 4 lbs of apples.

I notice in that Total France website, that the person did it the same way as I did my first batch (as far as ingredients) except they didn't mention vinegar. The vinegar was the problem I had with the first batch. The smell of vinegar was gross. If I can do it without the vinegar, that might work better for my nose.

Another good tip on those pages: One poster mentioned using just the cores of the apple (which really is where the pectin is). So then, I could make a pie or apple sauce from the meat of the apple,and set the cores aside to make mint jelly! Cool :-)

Thanks for the sites, and I'll let you know whether or not this 2nd batch tastes half way decent.

Linda

PS this is all in the name of my motto: if it grows like a weed in your garden, eat it. I figure if I make a regular thing of making mint jelly, it will keep it under control in my yard.

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

Thanks for reminding me about mint jelly. I have 2 mint plants this year, one may be chocolate but I'm not sure. My DH loves lamb chops and I do not, so I never think about the jelly, but he always asks if we have any. There's a good chance this year the answer will be "I made some just for you".

Mary

• lblack61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I kinda guessed a little and used store bought apple juice (4 cups), to about 1 1/2 cups of chopped mint leaves. Apple juice and pectin went in first, then the mint, then I brought it all to a rolling boil, put in a little sugar (I used the "no-sugar added" powdered pectin).
    I could tell that it was going to set better than the other recipe because there was goo developing at the side of the pot as it cooked down. The mix still seemed a little iffy to me, but the next day, all the jars were sitting upside down and the jelly wasn't sliding down. So that's a good sign. Unless it turned out like glue!
    I'm still waiting for DH to taste it and tell me if it's good or not.

Linda

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area