Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Baked Ziti - Sour Cream or Ricotta?

bakemom_gw
17 years ago

I'm trying to develop a good baked ziti recipe. I have read several dozen and they seem to be divided between sour cream, ricotta or niether.

What do YOU like? I'm looking for a meatless for summer and one with Italian sausage for winter.

Comments (7)

• albertar
    17 years ago

Karen
    Baked ziti is not baked ziti without ricotta cheese. Thats what gives it that special taste, LOL
    As much as I like sour cream, just the thought of making baked ziti with it.....ugh!!
    Alberta

• lblack61
    17 years ago

Ditto to Alberta
    Ricotta Cheese is the only way to go. I know some people will use cottage cheese in their lasagna, but it doesn't have the same melting properties. Sour Cream doesn't have the same melting power either, and it wouldn't have the same flavor. I always add Ricotta cheese and grated Parmesean to any quickie pasta dish I make on the stove, and the combo goes in whatever oven pasta dish I make. They seem to complement each other well.

• carrie630
    17 years ago

ditto on the ricotta! Carrie ( I mix an egg in with the ricotta plus some tomato sauce and parmesan)

• 33Cat
    17 years ago

My Italian Granny taught me how to make ziti znd lasagna. Ricotta, 2 eggs, some parsley, salt and pepper,parmesan, mozzarella, and some sauce to loosen it up. More mozzarella and sauce between the layers and on top. Cut a loaf of warm bread and you'll be good to go!

• not_a_contessa
    17 years ago

Know what Karen, I've never had baked ziti with sour cream, but my English father taught me to put sour cream on my apple pie, on bananas, and later I found I love it on pierogi, etc. It's great on baked potato or potato pancakes.

I also love it straight out of the carton, fattening though it may be. So the thought of using sour cream on baked ziti sounds interesting, and I may even decide to try it, with some fresh chives.

DH will also put sour cream on anything, or eat it straight. We're a pair of little piggies.

Mary

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mary, my number one favorite food is Lays Potato Chips in sour cream onion dip. Heaven.

I agree with the ricotta pointers here. Seems like sour cream or cottage cheese wouldn't perform like I would want.

NOW, next question, how do YOU put it together? Layers? Mix all. I have read recipes that have all different kinds of methods to prepare this dish. It's making my head spin.

• not_a_contessa
    17 years ago

Italy has many regions, and each one has its own style of cooking, and that's why your head is spinning. Same here, trying to teach myself how to make good barbequed ribs.

As I recall, the cooked ziti are sauced, and then ricotta is folded in, and grated parmesan or romano cheese is sprinkled on top, then it is baked. You could also add cubed mozzarella with the ricotta. If you like fresh herbs, by all means, add them too.

I don't see why it couldn't be layered. You'll know how you like it best after you've tried it a couple of ways.

It's been probably 30 years or so since I fixed it, and my Latvian DH doesn't like it, and now it's too heavy for my old tummy.

My sister fixes baked cavatelli and she calls it her signature dish. I would imagine it's made the same way as baked ziti.

I prefer my cavatelli with extra virgin olive oil, minced fresh garlic, broccoli cooked al dente, and coarsly grated parmesan.

Mary

Sponsored