Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for the 'perfect' winter sowing seed....

Posted by gardeningwithlcgrace NE PA (gardeningwithlcgrace@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 15:51

I've been elected to speak & demonstrate winter sowing at our church's gardening group.

I mentioned what I did (winter sowed for the very 1st time this past winter) and everyone wants to know about it! They've never heard of such a thing.

I'd love some suggestions on choosing what seed to demonstrate. Something that is "easy" and has a high success rate for germination. I'd like to give a packet of seeds to each person in the group, demonstrate what to do, give them an instruction list including proper timing to plant...and then keep track of how everyone's doing...maybe organize a wintersowing swap in the spring for them.

Any suggestions for seed? thanks so much! LC Grace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for the 'perfect' winter sowing seed....

• Posted by nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 18:29

Bach Buttons would get my vote for the easiest and most successful.

o

• Posted by danaoh SWOhio zone 6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 11:03

I had my best luck with all my cosmos - love them - have already ordered more seeds from VS.

o

• Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 10:28

Congrats on your teaching course--that is so nice. Please contact me and I'll be delighted to share seeds with you for your organization.

You are also welcome to print out whatever you need from WinterSown.Org.

Trudi

Here is a link that might be useful: WinterSown.Org

o

I have an outline that might be helpful. I can email it if you want. Heck, try everything and come up with your own.

As for the seed - rudbeckia, coreopsis, echinacea are all goodies. Anise hyssop, mexican hat...all get good germ.

o

dianthus was my biggest hit! (first time sower also) bach buttons, cosmos, hollyhock, love lies bleeding also did great. Good luck it should be fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here