Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goig to California with an aching in my heart

Posted by goddess_co_z5 z5 CO 6547alt (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 19:25

I'm going to have to change my login name. DH has been transfered to Roseville California. I'll be missing Colorado with all my heart.

How do you winter sow in Zone 9??? I do look forward to all the new plants I'll be growing now. There is even a palm tree in my new yard. We close on a house July 17th and pack up the animals an move sometime the last week of July.

I'll really be a flatlander, the Sacramento Airport is 2 feet BELOW sea level! Liesl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goig to California with an aching in my heart

Wow! What a Zone change!!! And you're going to have to leave your yard with all your WS plants :-(
I've made a list for things I'd want to grow if I moved to Houston TX, but I don't know about the WSing ...maybe I'll post the question for you in the Discussions section (you're probably VERY busy right now!)
Linda

o

Liesl, this move must be very difficult for you. Closing one door and opening another. We have several winter sowers from CA. Hope they respond to you as I am sure they can give you all kinds of hints and tips. Good luck with your move. Cheryl ::]

o

Welcome to California! Even though its hard to leave you home behind, you can't beat our weather! From a fellow Sacramentan (the general area at least) I wish you the best and hope your new garden is as beautiful as your last!

o

At least I see now there are WS'ers in CA. I won't be on the system much for awhile. I did at least get to stay here long enough to see my Clarkia bloom. I WS'd them for the first time this year. Liesl

o

Oh Goddess, I can truly sympathize with your feeling of loss at leaving Colorado. I was married to an Army man and spent a year there.

A few years later I decided to move to Sacramento, just to see what California was like. I lived there for six years, having left in 2003. Yes, it is a drastic change but there are some positives to living in zone 9.

I happened to love those palm trees, they are so unique and different to what we snowball throwers are used to seeing. Then there is the rose garden near the Capitol. I used to enjoy having a walk to see the roses on my birthday... which is the day after Christmas!

Just think of the long growing season you will enjoy and all you will learn about drought tolerant plants. Good luck and wishes for a minimal stress move.

o

Goddess,
Since joining GW, my hubby has been transferred twice and he was downsized shortly after the last move.
I went from Zone 6 to Zone 8, I am now Zone 4.
My kids are my first concern, always, but garden is right behind! I now have two acres with nothing on them. Back to Step #1, but we are happy and healthy and God is good!

Just remember, it is what you make it!! Folks in California don't always want to hear how they did where you are from. If you decide you will be happy, you will be!!
I will pray for a happy landing for you and your gardens!!
Sissy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here