Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outrage at the pool...

Posted by nancy_drew 5 nw chgo burbs (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 20:15

I started back at the pool on Thursday. I am so glad to be back, and the new people are perfect choices! Everything was going great, until yesterday when I brought my son and his best friend to the pool to swim. We have three pools that are connected, I was having trouble keeping up with them they were going back and forth... anyway...

I was sitting and reading a book, both kids are expert swimmers, young teens. They went in to another pool area to use the diving pool. I put down my book when I heard this man yelling "F- you, I'll f-ing kill you! I will, I'll kill you!"

I looked at him and for a minute I thought he was talking on his cell phone. Then Tina, the attendant on duty, got up and I switched into momma mode and we both walked over to see. That was when I realized the guy was yelling at my son's best friend!

Tina and I went over to him and kicked him out of the pool. I was not standing for this crap! I threatened to call the police if he didn't remove himself by the time I got my phone. He kept yelling something about his daughter. (Who later on, I heard is afraid of him. So are all her other friends.)

I found out my son's friend was talking to his daughter. The man thought he heard something said in disrespect of his daughter, who is actually is friendly with the two boys. He went absolutely NUTS! Now, here he was, yelling these horrible things to two KIDS! A 13 year old child and a 14 year old!!

I don't care what care what either of the boys said, I am quite sure it didn't deserve THIS! I know those kids, they are not offensive! (They also know, one mistake and they will not be back, Mom works here!!)

My son's best friend is much more than just a friend. His best friend is part of our extended family. Our son is part of his family, as well. His parents, my husband and I consider that we are raising these two boys together, and his parents feel the same way about our son. That being said... that kid is mine when his mom isn't there.

This child is a source of positive peer pressure for my son. He has been for 6 or 7 years. It sickens me to think that the thing that man found so offensive, was that this friend is black.

I don't know how to feel, I'm still kind of tormented by the hate, how can anyone threaten to kill a child? This behaviour, this hate coming from one of my neighbors, no less!! I don't think any of us will ever forget it. I've never encountered that kind of outrage... hope I never do again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outrage at the pool...

You see in the news so many examples of parents out of control around their children at sporting events or any gathering spot.

I put myself in the shoes of the kids around and imagine the disbelief and fright of having an adult so out of control and in their face.

It's abusive and uncalled for. His poor daughter can't escape that kind of abusive explosive behavior. Heart goes out to her if that's what her life is like normally.

Any insight from other neighbors as to overall situation with this parent?

Must leave a nasty taste in your mouth starting off the pool season with incident like this.

Good luck and hope kids get to enjoy their summer at the pool.

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 17:24

Civil protection stalking order. I hope it is availtable in Illinois and that this child's parents file it.

o

Last year he and some woman were banned from the pool because on a cold, rainy, summer day, the pool was closed, so they broke in, dunk on their a$$es. They scared the poor attendant (who showed up after their brake in)half to death with their abuse and drunkenness.

All the attendants know what happened on Saturday. They're on the look out and know that next time, call 911 before even approaching him.

I wish I could be angry, but I'm too darn busy being sad...

Bakemom, can you get a stalking order against someone based on a single incident? Is it about the same thing as an order of protection?

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 10:20

Ask the police how they do it in your town. They would know. Here, it's essentially a temporary restraining order that, if granted, is registered with the police and then shortly thereafter, there is a full hearing before the magistrate.

o

It's depressing how destructive humans can be. I hope that your son's friend realizes who the smaller person was after all was said and done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here