Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawiff

Made an Offer on a House Today!

dawiff
14 years ago

We made an offer on a house today. Wish me luck! We sold our house last fall when we moved to Seattle for DH's work. It was a house we lived in for over 25 years, and it was the only house we ever owned. So buying a house now is very much like buying for the first time. It's all new and scary for us!

According to our buyer's agent, we are just about the only people in the market for a house who are NOT trying to stick it to the sellers. We are not going after short sales, trying to capitalize on others' misfortunes. We are not even asking for any special perks like buyer's bonuses or for them to pay our closing costs.

It is nicer than the house we left behind, and has a pretty, fenced level back yard with some already established flower beds. So keep your fingers crossed for me!

Comments (21)

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

Oh how exciting, best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

Mary

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Sounds very charming! I wish you the best of luck!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Yes, do let us know how it goes. Sounds exciting. All the best. :O)

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the good wishes! They made a counteroffer, and we accepted. Now we have to fill out paperwork, and the closing is scheduled for mid-August.

We are thrilled! I will be doing lots of winter sowing this winter!

• lblack61
    14 years ago

Wonderful! Congratulations :-)

Linda

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Yay!!! This is SO exciting!! Got pics so we can all start planning your gardens?? LOL!

• dorisl
    14 years ago

Boy, this home buying and selling is all a piece of work isnt it? You list a home for MORE than you really want for it(because you know they're going to offer less) and then you make an offer that's LESS than you want to pay because yoU KNOW they're going to counter ...... and so ong

anyhow,

"Now we have to fill out paperwork"

Oh boy, you are not done even after you fill out the paperwork,

You also have to:

Gather Winter Sowing Containers
    Buy Soil
    Gather some seeds
    buy some stamps
    Trade for some seeds
    retrade some of the seeds you traded for
    buy some seeds
    trade some of the seeds you bought
    trade some of the seeds you traded your bought seeds for
    buy more dirt
    Gather more containers
    go back to the top (cept for the paperwork part)

:)
    Congrats!

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the good wishes, again! I think I will wait until the house is actually ours and post pictures then. I can't wait to get started on the garden, I have so many plans (but of course I don't mind help). There are already a few beds, with some trees and shrubs and perennials, so it has good bones already. But there's lots of mulched open spaces between all that. Lots of room to fill up with WSed perennials and annuals, so I can give it a real cottage garden look.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

"lots of mulched open spaces". You are making me drool. That would be a paradise for me. :O)

Glad to hear you have some bones and are not really starting from scratch in that case. Sounds great!!

Oh, and do remember what Doris says. One must keep the priority of winter sowing. Check my seed list this coming winter and pick some goodies. I'd love to help out!

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tiffy, thanks so much for offering seeds from your garden. YOUR pictures, with all those wonderful stone walls, always make ME drool! Especially your poppies and your astilbes (hint....). I've tried WSing astilbes and it never works, I don't know why.

Doris, I just came from lblack's Ferry Morse sale thread. So I've got "buy some seeds" covered. I already have five shoeboxes full! Do I need more? No (yes, in a small voice) LOL I brought some seeds that I collected from my old garden, but there are a few things in the garden of this rental house we're living in that I'm going to try to gather -- some chocolate joe-pye weed, a couple of nice dark heucheras, and lots of lavender. So I'll be gathering seeds too! (I know, it's a sickness!)

• token28001
    14 years ago

Congrats! When I bought the place I currently live, I bought the yard, not the house. :)

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

If it's any consolation, you are not alone, there are many other seed sickies running around out there, including me. I can't even walk by Norway Maple seeds without picking some up off the ground. I don't even WANT Norway Maples, they're not a good tree for this area, but do you think that registers in my brain? Of course not, a seed is a seed and I want them all, so into my pocket...LOL

Mary

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Hey, Girl, you didn't e-mail me that you got the house.

You sure are going to be WS this coming winter. Watch out, cause I've been holding seeds for you for next year and will be sending plenty of goodies too.

Congrats, my "long last WS partner", now we got to figure out how we do this long distance.

HMM, didn't you say something about coming east in the fall? are you flying or driving? Watch out if it's driving, I'll fill the car up with seedlings for you.

Fran

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fran, I sent you an email a couple of days ago, is it maybe in your spam? It looks like I will be flying back east in mid-August, and possibly in late October as well. We are still waiting for a signed acceptance from the seller, we have a verbal one.

You have plants for me? I guess I could mail them back to myself....

Token, I've seen pictures of your cool brick house. You are doing wonders with the garden, but the house is cool too.

LOL Mary. Here in the back yard of the rental house I have bigleaf maples. They are currently full of seeds waiting to fall. I don't even remember if there were bigleaf maples in the back yard of the new house, but I'm considering trying to grow them when the seeds fall here.

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Dawiff,

Oops, I found the e-mail and just answered it.

Don't think sending back plants to yourself in August is a good idea. I'd worry that they wouldn't survive the trip in the summer heat, but Oct. will do it.

I'll have all kinds of stuff for you though, but at the rate the weather is going, you may need an Ark to get around here. It is still raining and cool, but getting muggy and nothing is growing but the weeds.

Oh, the lawn is too, what there is of it. Thinking of getting a herd of goats to take care of the lawn, a sickle isn't going to do it.

Fran

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woo Hoo! We finally got a signed acceptance from the seller today. We had a verbal acceptance, but we had to wait for a signed acceptance to schedule the home inspection and to get started on the financial stuff. So I am dancing in my chair right now! DH has started the ball rolling at the bank, locking in an interest rate, etc.

I can't wait to get into this house and get started working on the garden.

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Yeah, Yeah, Dawiff got a new house, and a new garden spread, and lots and lots and lots of land to fill up.

Don't forget to save containers, get those deco paint pens, need those tags, and

OH, yeah, seeds, i'll fill your beds for you with plenty of fresh seeds.

Just one catch, though. You got to send us back east, some sun and some warm weather.

Fran

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

Fran,
    "... sun and warm weather." Oooh, that's a tall order. Hmmm, what are those anyway? :O)

Dawiff, I'll save you seeds from the Astilbes. Got a really nice white one and some colours too. Great time to buy since I would assume interest rates would be low in the states too. Hope the inspection goes well!!

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Tiffy, tis true, it's a tll order, but can't hurt to ask can it?

How about if we just get some dry weather and an occasional sighting of the sun for, maybe a total of 3 hours per day?

We got to dry out soon before all we get to grow and harvest are mushrooms

Fran

• dawiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fran and Tiffy, I wish I could send you guys some sun and dry weather. It sure does seem like you got our rain. We have had an unusually dry June here, from what I hear the constant drizzle doesn't usually stop until some time in July.

Oh, my, thanks so much for the offer of seeds from both of you. I need to go through my seeds and maybe throw out some from 2004....

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

Congrats on the house...are you Seattle/Tacoma area?

I moved back to MA 7 yrs ago. from Lakewood WA( McChord AFB)

You are gonna love gardening there.
    There is a LOT of great plant growers there and the Tulip fields in Skagit valley in the spring..are a MUST see.

Here is a link that might be useful: DO you like roses?

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone