Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorisl_gw

Can you wish me luck?

dorisl
14 years ago

I responded to a Craigslist posting for a part-time job. She actually called and asked me to fill out an application. Ive done so and am going in tomorrow to drop it off and am hoping to get a chance to introduce myself to the lady. I dont have an appointment or anything, but thought it wouldnt hurt.

Ive been at home 12 years and this is a really big deal for me. You wouldnt believe how long its taken me to complete the application. Its REALLY lucky that I can print it at home and print as many copies as i want and take as long as I want. Not like the old days when you went to the office and they gave you ONE application to fill out.

Comments (30)

• dawiff
    14 years ago

Good luck, dorisl! It's been at least 12 years for me too. I know if I had to go out and try to get a job now I would be scared stiff. I'd probably need several tries at filling out the application too. So, Good Luck! Keeping my fingers crossed for you, hope it goes well.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Good for you, Doris. Good luck. You must be thrilled. A lot of people can't even get a call.

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do feel lucky to even get the call. Im so totally overqualified for this job, Im almost afraid she'll be afraid to hire me or something.

The first thing you see on my resume is the year 1997, so I gotta take whatever I can get. I must have applied for 25 jobs in the last two weeks.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Good luck, Doris! I have my fingers crossed for you! Don't feel bad about those years you haven't been employed, it matters a lot less than you think.

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I went there and turned in the app. I wasnt able to get to say hello or anything, the desk clerk was firm about that.

I worked HARD filling out that application. You get used to typing everything and its an EFFORT to write it correct the first time. :)

• ajpa
    14 years ago

Good luck!!!!

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I actually had an interview today, first time in aloooooooong time. She had her scripted Q's and I had my unscripted answers and hopefully I didnt babble too much.

• stlgirl
    14 years ago

Good luck Doris!

I use to be in charge of hiring salespeople at my old job at this small retail gallery/ boutique. Basically I would look at how long a person was at a position and what skills they had. Provided they were not a big time job hopper and had skills we were looking for I would generally call them in for an interview. Some of these people would list self employed on their applications. Of course I had no way to verify this. Yet I guess it may look better than leaving a gap. I know you are a mom and that is definitely a full time job for which you should get some credit! Though of course not all employers would agree. On our applications we had an area asking them to explain any gaps in their employment history. One of my best workers turned out to be a woman who had stopped working for a couple years in the the traditional work environment to take care of her dad. I found that impressive.

Let's us know how this all turns out.

-StLGirl

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

Good luck, Doris!

Lois in PA

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

I agree with StLGirl, sometimes those with big employment gaps are the best workers, and they tend to appreciate the opportunity even more. I mean, as long as you don't list a stint in rehab as the reason for the gap, you should do fine!

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I having ALOT of anxiety about references. I gave 4. However, my biggest reference is my boss for about 6 years at two different jobs. Unfortunatley, my son was ill when he was born and I wasnt able to return from maternity leave. I had assured boss that I had planned to come back and I cant help wondering if he thinks poorly of me because of this. He was ALWAYS very complimentary at work, so I shouldnt worry, but I cant help it, ya know.

BTW, The kid is fine now :).

Two of the others werent supervisors, so the girl didnt really seem interested, but were co-workers and I KNOW will give rave reviews FWTW.

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This job searching stuff is gut wrenching. Ive spent much of the day staring at my phone and waiting for it to ring. Worrying about every little thing I may have done wrong on the interview. I HAVE never been so nervous that I forget to eat before (obviously ;) ).

I got an email for another interview and find that one of the directors for this Co. is a director at two of my previous co's. He's already hired me twice, so I shouldnt worry, right? But Im still worried that he hates me for not coming back from matenrity leave.... I would never think to ask for a ref from this guy because he's so busy and Im of little consequence to this guy, but I assume somewhere up the chain of bosses, one of these guys is going to mention........ But if I DID have a ref from him, it would be really really nice, ya know. Im way too chicken at this point.....

• dawiff
    14 years ago

Doris, I wish I could offer you good advice, but since I can't, I'll just offer comfort.

Big hugs! ((((Doris)))))

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dawiff, There is much value in comfort!! I do appreciate it.

Im lucky that I can wait for things to click into place, I cant imagine the anxiety of somebody who really really really needs to get a job right now or else. There's alot of that going around.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Doris, I have to say, there is no greater reason for leaving a job than a baby's health concerns. Anyone who faults you for that, is not someone I would want to work for anyway!! Don't apologize for it, and don't feel bad about it!

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, what do you know! She just offered me the job! woohoo! I have to sign a form for a criminal background check, which will come back clean and I will start next week. The hourly rate is taking me back to 1990, I guess I have to start over someplace.

Its a good day!

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

That is wonderful news, congratulation to you! I'm really happy for you! It IS a good day!

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Nancy!

:)
    I got nothing to sit and stew about today!!!

• dawiff
    14 years ago

Congrats! I hope you love your new job!

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you dawiff!

I appreciate getting a job and will absolutely love being there with actual people. Ive been naming the bunnies in the yard and talking to them.

Only problem is I have to find some clothes that dont have garden dirt on them.

hee!
    Is a good problem to have.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Clothes, huh? Yes, I bet it can be a lot of fun, shopping for new clothes and knowing that you have the job to pay for them. Enjoy it!

I have to chuckle, I always joke with people that I go to work half naked... ya know... it's a somewhat clothing optional job? Pool attendant... it's a tough gig for those 3 months a year that I "work"!

The money is not much, I only do it part time... that's all I can handle with my health issues. It's also only about a block away so it's very convenient. Oh, but the human contact makes it all worthwhile. For those 3 months I truly treasure the conversation, the laughing children, the waves from passersby, the smiles on the faces of those who enter and sign in. I would probably do my "job" for free if they needed me to. If you love where your at, and who your with, it isn't "work" at all!

I hope you love your new job!!

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oooooooooo Lord and Taylor, I found an Anne Klein 3pc pantsuit, org 360 bucks, for, get this, THIRTY SIX dollars.

The 3rd piece is a sparkly top which made me itch, but 40 bucks with tax for a 2piece pants suit is pretty darn awesome, then went to the thrift shop and got an irish linen shirt for a buck fifty. Its for once in a while since it'll need drycleaning.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Wow! Now that's a bargain!

Are you far from Gurnee Mills? Prime Outlets in Huntly is another good palce to shop. I live in Wheeling and for me, it's always been worth the trip. There's another outlet store in the Fox Valley area that I have meaning to get to... when I have a paycheck... anyway! I heard they have a Coach outlet... oh my goodness, don't get me started!

• stlgirl
    14 years ago

Yay Doris!

Glad you got the job. Hope you find lots a great clothing bargains.

-StLGirl

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you STLGirl!

Nancy, I have been to that mall in Huntley, years ago when we shopped at the carters outlet store for the kids, I dont remember what other stores are there. Gurnee is doable, but I dont want to spent that much time driving and shopping. I happy to find whatever bargains I can at L&T or Macy's. They are close to the gym I go to and can pop in whenever without committing a half day to shopping.

Lots of thrift stores in the wealthy suburbs east of here, its always an adventure.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

Alright! Happy for you, Doris. Congratulations for both the job and clothing.

I need to get decent work clothes too.
    But boy, do I hate to shop.
    Maybe I'll do it.....at the end of the summer...

People have told me about Huntley a couple years ago.
    Maybe it's time I went out there and visited a WS friend at the same time......

• Deb Chickenmom
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your new job Doris!! With your positive attitude you will be very successful. Hope you really enjoy everything about the job! You know we are all rooting for you! Debby

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

"Lots of thrift stores in the wealthy suburbs east of here, its always an adventure."

Oh, no kidding!! Half of my son's baby clothes came from those thrift stores! A lot of the stuff we got had never been worn. They also had a huge selection! I remember having fun shopping through all the amazing stuff they had. You're right, it was adventure!!

• stillwelljill
    14 years ago

Doris,
    Congratulations on the job...............and new clothes, WHAT A REWARD FOR GETTING A NEW JOB, huh? Will you be in sales or more of a secretarial position? Is this something you did in your previous job or will you be learning some new skills? It is always exciting to go back into the job market after a few years out of it. You must be really happy to have found something you want to do in this market and economy. Again, many congrats! Be sure to save time for that garden....lol.

• dorisl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

stillwell,

Thanks you!

I used to be a bank controller and now Im the accountant for a non-profit. Kinda starting over from the beginning, thats what having kids does to ya, lol! Although, since I am the ONLY accountant, I shall think of myself as the controller regardless of what my actual title is. Its part time only, so no worries about the garden time!

I shall learn a program or two I havent used before, that's a good thing.

:)

Sponsored