Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gunnysax

Seed offers for SASBE. How to go about doing this.

gunnysax
17 years ago

Also is it a headache, or a fun expierence? I have some seeds I won't be WSing this year, and was considering just tossing them, but I thought to ask here first. All seeds are from last fall, or this spring. All seeds from last fall germinated this past WSing. I have responded to SASBE before, but never offered any. Any helpful hints, or how-to's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Judy

Comments (3)

• Nurmey
    17 years ago

It's your give away so you make the rules. You can limit the number of folks, you can decide on how many packets per person, or if you want them to pick or if it's your choice.

It's always a good idea to list what kind of envelope and how much postage. Also, it's good to list a time limit on when they have to have an envelope to you. If they are picking which seeds, have them send a list of what they want and include their GW name with their "real" name so you know who they are.

It really is more fun than headache to share your seeds but you want to make sure everyone knows your expectation and you know theirs.

• drippy
    17 years ago

I usually wait until I have a big list together, and here's how I've done it in the past. I post the list with the number of packets available for each type. I ask all respondents to respond in posting, stating firmly that I will not answer anyone who emails me directly. This serves 2 purposes for me - I don't like a cluttered in-box, and since I'm working on a first-come-first-served basis, I don't have to be comparing times; the posting keeps them all in order. I ask respondents to pick 1-10 packs, checking postings ahead of them to see what's already been requested. For 1-5, I request regular bubble mailer first class postage, for 6-10, additional (many people will send 2 or 3 first class stamps). I ask them to send a self-addressed label, a list of what they requested, and their GW name. I let posters know that I expect to receive envelopes within 10 days, or their seeds go back in the pool. I respond to everyone who posts - not all posters will read directions carefully, and you have to let them know, IMHO - i.e., someone will request seeds that have already been spoken for, and I prefer to let them know they're no longer available than have them disappointed. I respond to latecomers and put them on a "waiting list" - invariably, not everyone who says they want seeds will get around to sending the SASE (most do, but not all).

I then print out a copy of the entire posting (and updates as they come in) and keep it in my seed box, so I can check it against the SASEs as they come in.

I do find that it's a bit of work, but it helps clear out the seedbox.

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

I make the Newbie Seed Packs - my choice - and that cuts down on a ton of work.

Sponsored