Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping Rabbits Cool

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 14:35

My neighbor is gone flagging between Mon-Fri. and I'm the animal sitter and garden keeper D:

This is what I've come up with to keep her rabbits cool.
The night before take 24oz water bottles (filled with water) and freeze them. When it starts getting uncomfortably hot outside you can stick them in the hutch. They'll stuggle up to the bottles to keep cool!! Also, even tho the hutch is on the south east side, I'm still sliding a piece of plywood in front for extra shade in the afternoon that's about 13" from the doors..so it's not completely dark and air can still circulate.

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping Rabbits Cool

Wrap the bottles with a piece of an old towel so the rabbits don't get wet from the condensation on the outside of the bottles. You don't want them getting sick on you from being too cold and wet....used to have rabbits when I was a lot younger. They are finicky little buggers. Hope this suggestion help a little!

Netta

o
RE: Keeping Rabbits Cool

Thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt they can stay cold or wet in this heat! Evaporation is very quick with our dry heat :D

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here