Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lblack61

My 1st Official Seed Snatch!

lblack61
16 years ago

We went to the Farmer's Market this evening, and as we walked around, I was deadheading the plants that the city has in the planters/raised beds for decoration. A lot of Calendula needed deadheading...a few Zins too. Many of these flowers had ripening and ripe seeds on them, when they've only begun to bloom!

DH was trying to stop me. He said, "Let the city do their job!"

But I couldn't bear it. I told him, "They aren't going to keep blooming if they aren't deadheaded!"

We made it through the circuit of vendors, and I saw a beautiful Calendula that was lemon-yellow with florets that were varied in length. Haven't seen seeds for that type.

One of the heads had ripe seeds. I put them in my pocket.

Hey, I figure it's payment for doing the city's work, right?

LOL.

Linda

Comments (8)

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

Linda, I beat you to it. Just couldn't help myself on Monday, just had to help those poor portulacca along, so few blooms and so many ripe seed pods. Oh, yes they came home in a nice ziploc baggie. Get this, though, the maintenance guys weren't too happy with what I did. They complained that I got the seeds to bring home before they had a chance to get them. I had to remind the guys that there must be at least 50 more planters around the mall and they could help those plants along.

Fran

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Careful gals! Last year I took seeds off a Buddleia that was at the end of my neighbour's driveway. I had so much germination that I threw 1/2 the sprouts away and potted up the others. So far I have given away over 20 Buds., planted at least 10, promised 4 to neighbours, and there's still another 20+ in the potted area. They are now a foot high and quite robust. I have no idea what colour. Any leftovers will be going to one of my brothers the first weekend in August. He's cleared an area in his apple orchard where he wants to start a butterfly garden/sanctuary.

IMHO, snatched seeds are wicked germinators! Go for it!

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

I love seed-snatching! It's about as "bad" as I get. What a thrill, to surreptitiously snatch that seed pod (even if no one's actually looking, or caring)

Recently, at a party, I was given a walk though the gardens by the hostess, and when I saw seed pods on a coreopsis, I couldn't help but say "Ooh! Seeds! Could I...pick just a couple?" Her response was "Sure--I don't see you!" When she saw my look of confusion, she explained that if you're seen snatching the seeds (even with permission), they won't grow! Now we have seed-snatching superstitions we must obey. Perhaps this finally explains those containers that didn't germinate!

• PVick
    16 years ago

LOL, stage! There are some lovely purple and red salvia growing in the plaza near my office. I'm only interested in the purple, so I stop and go thru them and get a handful every day. One day I got so engrossed in my task that I was a half hour late for a meeting. Hah - those seeds just better germinate!

PV

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

I have been picking petunia seeds from the planters that line the street in front of my office building. lol. There are a couple hundred planters like these in downtown Chicago. I like those fuschia petunia with dark center and the yellowish white with lemony center. The beautiful dark purple coleus is also very tempting, but I figured I already have several Perilla that needs no care, so I only eye the coleus and admire them. :-D

• etravia
    16 years ago

Pit - What is up with those funky manequins growing out of all those planters! We drove through 2 weekends ago & were going to go to Dicks Last Resort for lunch, but couldn't find a parking space within a mile, so we headed home & ate Hardy's on the toll road (yuck)
    Coming up next weekend to see Blue Man Group too. My DH son lives on Devon street, so we will be eating Indian food!
    Maggie

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

Huh? Where did you see the manequins in planters? I walk to & from the train station by City Hall and Millennium Pk everyday. I also went to Navy Pier a week ago & up and down State Street. Have not ventured outside these areas so have not seen the planters with manequins.
    Parking in downtown Chicago has been very difficult and more exhorbitant every year. I can't remember the last time I parked in the street downtown.

• etravia
    16 years ago

Pit, it took some searching, but I found this.
    Some of them are really cool!
    ps. this is the first time I've linked to another site. Hope it works!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Art on the Magnificent Mile

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors