Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamimo_gw

feels like ants in my head

mamimo
17 years ago

Sorry, I need to whine a little.

Allergy season is in full swing here. It's almost impossible to be outdoors, much less garden without getting a bad bout of sneezes, running nose, itchy eyes, dizziness, nausea, itchy lips and the worst of them all--itchy ears!! It feels like I've ants in my head! Drives me nuts especially at 3am. Benadryl, claritin, allegro, steroid spray, etc, none worked. And I'm getting withdrawals from not being able to do much gardening. Does anyone has hayfever and how do you cope with it?

Comments (13)

• webkat5
    17 years ago

I have mold allergies and only one thing works for me....

Tylenol Extra Strength Allergy Sinus pills...

I just take one of the pills (not two as recommended).

• PVick
    17 years ago

Ditto, webkat! I'm even allergic to some of the medications used to relieve allergy/sinus problems.

Tylenol Allergy/Sinus is the only thing that helps me. I take two, though ...

PV

• mamimo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tylenol allergy? Hey, I haven't tried that one yet. Thanks! Maybe it'll be the magic pill that'll work for me. Though the rain we got today helped a lot. Only itchy eyes. Thank God. Am also going to wild oats this weekend and get a neti pot. Heard rave reviews about it alleviating allergies too.

On the bright side, DH mowed the grass this week, out of sympathy for me.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

My son and I have had rampaging allergies this year. The mold problem after the flooding has been incredible. Our son takes Zyrtec, but I just tough it out most of the time. I take a single sudafed when I'm desperate (two are too much for me). I've had allergies for so long, they have to be really spectacularly awful for me to need to take anything. Mold, pollen, dust - the only time of year I'm NOT allergic to something outside is February, when everything is frozen solid (except this past warm winter). I HOPING for a good long solid freeze this winter. . . .

My son calls that "ants in the head" feeling being "jumpy grumpy," which is a good description of how he acts without his Zyrtec.

Laurel

• nettasaura
    17 years ago

My two year old and my sister's son (lives in an entirely different city) are both having problems with hives. And I'm not talking the mild kind that look like a heat rash. I'm talking full blown raised patchy itchy WELTS. Both only break out on exposed skin. My sons doctor says it's some kind of contact and through process of elimination we still can't figure out what it is. She put him on Claritin and it's giving complete control. My sister's doc gave her a diagnosis of sun allergy and gave them a cream to use. Funny to me and her that he still breaks out when he's INSIDE...and the cream does not control break outs. I told her she needs to get a new pediatrician. We are both hoping that with the arrival of cooler weather this problem will disappear.

Netta

• trudi_d
    17 years ago

I live on Alka Seltzer Cold medicine and claritin, and I take two tylenol PMs before going to bed. When it gets really bad I dab my nasal passages and ear tunnels with eucalyptus oil. I love on LI, bad sinuses are a way of life. I've grown up with cats and dogs but my nose gets very tickly with Tyler, our medium haired fuzzcat, he is very gossamer fluffy and his hair tickles your face like you've walked into an unseen spiderweb.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Margaret6a
    17 years ago

Netta,
    As a child, I had the hives with welts and my fingers and feet would swell and itch like crazy. I even got them in my stomach which made me sick and, once,in my throat which became rather scary! Back then, the doctor didn't do much for it. On my own, I discovered that it was a certain temp in the air and a certain humidity that caused it-spring or fall with dew on the grass would be a perfect morning for hives. It got to the point that my Mom would get up in the morning, go outside and say "This will be a hive morning for Margaret". I don't have a cures for you but wanted to let you know that I outgrew it and no longer have them. I'm hopeful that will be true for your son also.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Trudi,

Let's hear it for fluffy cats! This is Sophia, sleeping among my daughter's art supplies:

{{gwi:334759}}

And this is Sophia with Molly, our daughter's kitten:
    {{gwi:334760}}

Laurel

• mamimo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Awwwww... the pic of Sophia sleeping is adorable. Thanks for sharing *sneeze sneeze* :)

Actually I've good news. After many attempts, my doc and I finally found the permutation of drugs that works. Somehow the combo worked together, though they didn't individually. So this morning, DH and I went to Lowes and bought a carload full of stakes, lumber, etc. We're going to celebrate by building me a new raised bed for more WS toms next year. I haven't felt this clear-headed and good in weeks and it's wonderful. Have a long list of gardening to dos this weekend :)

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

Allegra, Nasornex, and allergy eye drops. I have had them all my life and I am allergic to everything. I just deal with it.

I won't get rid of my cats and gardens. So, I suffer. Seems like a nice glass of wine in the evening shuts down the allergies as well.

• ccoupkir
    17 years ago

Mamimo, ditto what others said - Tylenol Cold and Sinus (I use the generic brands and they seem to work just fine). 1 pill works atleast 6 hours for me. What you call "ants in my head" I call "my brain shifting". Sometimes it even makes me a little dizzy and scares me! Only happens from the 3rd week in Aug. till the first hard frost. I have the other allergy problems for most of the year - dust and molds! When things get really bad, this time of year, I take a 12 hour decongestant. Works like a charm. Claritin, etc. did nothing for me. Good Luck!!!

• lblack61
    17 years ago

Beautiful cats, Laurel!
    I'm having a time of it with allergies because of all this rain. Mold and mildew has taken over where the pollen left off and it won't stop raining. I take Claritin D and I have Nasonex (but I hate putting things up my nose!) I think I'm going to have to break down and take the Nasonex tonight to prevent from losing any more sleep-- sucks to wake up in the middle of the night choking :-(

• laurelin
    17 years ago

lblack61,

You are so right about that waking up in the night thing! My allergies are working overtime, and I'm going to have to break down and get something to help me sleep better. I always look forward to the first killing frost, because it does in a lot of the mold/mildew (not to mention the mosquitos, usually). My DH just told me that we might have frost tonight, but I won't count on it until it happens - we live down by the river, and we're the LAST place in the Southern Tier of NY to get a good hard freeze, because we stay warmer down in the valley than anywhere else around us. The weather station here is at the airport, WAY up on a hill, so whatever their temperature estimate is, we're 3-4 degrees warmer.

Laurel

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!