Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In mourning for my best buddy

Posted by ccoupkir z5 Il (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 10:15

I felt the need to let all my good friends here know that I lost my beloved red classic tabby Oscar on Saturday. He suddenly started breathing at about double the normal rate so I rushed him to the vet before they closed. He had been struggling with numerous problems since May: a retrobulbar abcess behind the eye, uncontroled diabetes, occasional vomiting, etc. X-rays showed that he had a large mass, probably cancerous, in his stomach and it had probably metastisized to his lungs. Untreatable, so we sent him back to his maker rather than allow him to suffer.

I was absolutely in shock. I never expected anything like this. He was the love of my life. I've had alot of cats but he was truly special. My gardening (and everything else) buddy. I really think that he thought he should have been born a dog.

Needless to say, I am devestated. My husband travels every week and Oscar was my constant companion, greeting me at the door when I got home from school, spending the evenings with me in my office or in front of the tv. This is a huge loss for me. I feel like I have this great big hole in my heart that is constantly bleeding tears. We have 2 other cats, actually a cat and a 15 week old kitten, but they're just not the same.

I've already decided to plant my favorite hosta "Striptease" on his grave since he loved to lay under the hostas while I planted all my ws babies.

I just know that you, my friends, will understand my need to post this. I guess I'm looking for the loving support I know this group has to give. Please keep me in your prayers as I continue to try to let go of my best buddy and at the same time try to devote more love and care to my newest kit Murphy.

Thanks to all of you.

Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In mourning for my best buddy

I'm so sorry Cheryl. My kitties are my babies also & I know how sad it is to lose them. Please remember that he had a wonderful life with you & he didn't deserve to suffer, so you did the right thing. He's chasing butterflies in heaven now.
Maggie

o

Oh, Cheryl, I am so sorry for your loss. It is going to be devastating for a long while, I imagine, so nothing I can say will do more than temporarily ease your grief. I wish it were otherwise.

Sometimes it helps to think how happy he was while he was alive, how lucky he was to have you, and how he enjoyed your time together as much as you.

I wish I could offer more,
Lime aka Suzy

o

I am tearing up just reading this. Those furballs are so important to us. I think of Nipper and Beetle about every day since their deaths. I know just how you feel and know this is not just about losing a pet, but a very valued family member.

I can't read that rainbow bridge stuff; it makes me cry, but perhaps it might be a comfort to you. I'm sure someone will post it on this forum again.

o

I am so sorry Cheryl. I know how hard it is losing those special parts of our families. To me they were just like a human loved one. Not everyone understands that connection but it is real. I think planting the hosta on his grave is a wonderful way to honor him. And he will always be in your heart.

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 8:48

My heart goes out to you, Cheryl. I lost my best bud two years ago and still miss him.

It'll be hard, but you've got to believe that you did the best thing for him.

I talk to Petey almost every day, out loud, asking him how he's doing and if he's having a good time, if he's taking care of his sister Mandy. May sound nuts, but it helps me.

As for your new one, Murphy, I truly do think they understand what you're feeling. It sure seems that my new one does.

PV

o

I moved up the Nipper thread. Do you see your reference to your beloved Oscar? I remember Mary - nota contessa - and PV had lost their pets and that Storygardener's cat, Bandit, had gone through some nasty kidney problems. Seems there were some more folks suffering too.

Maybe reading this thread will help. It made me cry. Gotta, go and play with Max and Maggie in the garden. Can't take them for granted after an emtional moment like this. Give Murphy a big squeeze!

o

I'm so sorry Cheryl. I've been exactly where you are and its such a painful thing. I don't think we realize just what an important part of our family, those 4 legged babies are until something happens to them. You did such a brave and kind thing for Oscar - our beloved babies dont deserve to suffer. Please know that I'm thinking about you and little Murphy.

o

:-(
Cheryl,
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I occasionally think of the time I will have to say goodbye to our cats and I don't know that there will be any way to make it easier. Like people, I just show them I love them as much as they can while I have them. And I'm sure that's what you did with Oscar. He knows he was loved. You gave that to him and that's what he gave to you. And that's a very precious gift that doesn't go away, even if we or they do.

Linda

o

Cheryl,

I'm soooo sorry about your loss!! I hope the Creator sends another furry friend in need your way.
We are still grieving the loss of our Boo Boo who we lost this past November 18th. He was our fist and first to go...so hard. You'll be in my thoughts.

Vera

o

Cheryl,

I so often forget to come here to Conversations, but for some reason I came tonight. I know how you feel, I'm sure you are still grieving, even though it has been a few weeks. I lost two beloved old kitties within two weeks of each other last summer, and I still miss them terribly. They both were outdoor cats, and would "help" me garden.

I'm so sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you.

Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here