Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I finally Did it! Tall Garden Phlox

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 12:45

So exicted! I've been wanting a tall phlox for awhile now. Last year I took some young side shoots from the base of my neighbors clump but they never took. 2 weeks ago I tried again and took several more. I like to root cuttings in straight perlite, so used this method again and did get just one cutting to root. The rest killed over...I think maybe they were just too new. The one that took had a stem with a bigger diameter. It has been outside of the zip lock tent for 4 days now and is doing well!!
It's a plain white one, grow to about 4' tall and starts bloom in August.

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I finally Did it! Tall Garden Phlox

I have Tiffy's instructions and am dying to try it. Good to know about your success!

o

For me perlite is the way to go. I learned this at school. Using perlite you bypass all the possible stem rots, ect. found in or capable of forming in potting mixes. Works great especially for cuttings that may take a
while :D

Where can I find Tiffy's instructions?

Vera

o

Hi Vera,
If you need more, just let me know! I have white 'David', a dark pink and a light pink with a rose eye. They're very easy to start from seed. ~Teresa

o

Hi Teresa :D

I'll take you up on that just in case this babe don't make it thru the winter! I seen a stand of that dark pink Phlox in an elderly ladies yard but can never catch her outside to ask (get the nerve for that matter) for some seed LOL!

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here