Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coreopsis seed

Posted by proudgm_03 5b MO (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 19:02

Do you clean your seed or send the whole head? They are a pain and I have enough to cover the world. Twice! I didn't care much for them because the stems weren't very strong and they fell over from the beginning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coreopsis seed

I usually clean my seed, but as long as the recipients know what they're getting, you should be good. Once I was bummed after a trade. I don't think they realized, all I got was chaff, but all of the seeds had already been dropped. Too bad on their performance. Mine are upright, but it's been such an odd summer, I didn't get any flowers.

o
RE: Coreopsis seed

proudgm,

I agree with Lisa. Just let them know that the seeds will include chaff. I don't clean all my seeds. I let them dry in paper bags, shake, remove as much of the big stuff as I can and then package the rest. Even if I question the viability of the seeds, I'll include that in the communications during the arranging of the trade. Last year I had seed heads of Achillea Cerise Queen which Stage Rat wanted so I let her know that I didn't know if there were even seeds in there since I didn't know what they looked like and it didn't look like the pods had matured. None came up, but it was more or less expected. This year the plants are producing mature seeds which I can see so I'll send her some more and we'll see if these are viable. As long as the recipient knows where they stand...

I grow Coreopsis Domino which I truly like. A nice bushy plant with loads of yellow blooms with a red center. I tried something different though and chopped them down a bit in early June. The four plants I did this to stayed nice and compact and didn't flop. Still bloomed like the dickens!! I'll be doing this from now on with them. :O)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here