Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albertar

Oh no, I'm too young to be a Great Grandmother

albertar
14 years ago

Needless to say I'm not thrilled to be typing this, but I need to vent somewhere, and you lucky people are my choice to be on the receiving end of my venting. I just got the news last night that my now 17 year old grandson is going to be a father in May of 2010. He's 17 and the girl is 18, this feels almost like deja vu with the exception that my son was 19 and his then girlfriend was 18. Realistically I know there is nothing I can do, but this has just upset me to know end today. I was a grandmother at 41, and going to be a great grandmother at 62? UGH!!!!!

Alberta

Comments (8)

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Has the shock worn off yet?
    congrats on your 1st great grand child.
    you will be the cool, young great G-ma.
    I know they are way too young,but babies are a blessing.
    You wouldn't trade your grand son for the world would you?
    How's your son taking it?
    best wishes
    Laura

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Alberta, How are you doing now?

Has the initial shock warn off a bit?

Try to look at it this way when it comes to you. Age is just a number, drum that in to your head about yourself.

Then start thinking this way, I'm going to be a great grandmother and I'm only 62, Yup, only 62 and I can still enjoy having those littleones around me and teaching them plenty of things, especially gardening.

Most great grandmothers are much older and don't really get the chance to enjoy their great grandchildren they way you will be able to.

Congrats

Fran

• drippy
    14 years ago

Yup, I'm with Laura - babies are a joy - and with inexperienced parents who are still very much children themselves, the new little one will need the blessing of rational "elders" (sorry - I'm reveling in my age right. I would be concerned about the age of the parents-to-be, too, but your son managed to raise his boy, and in all likelihood, your grandson will manage too.

I'm on the other side - kids in mid-late 20's, no intentions of settling down anytime soon. I'm 54, but may well be doddering by the time I see any grandkids!

• albertar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all, I guess I'm getting used to the idea, but still not thrilled about it. I am mainly worried how they are going to survive, and take care of a baby. It's mind boggling to say the least.

• drippy
    14 years ago

Alberta, one of the things you have to look forward to - my grandmother had her child young, my mother had her children young, my sister fairly young, and her daughter was in her mid-twenties when she had her first girl. Even though I'm just sister/aunt/great aunt, I cherish that 5 generations of family women picture! :)

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

Alberta, I just got another one, another boy, this one makes 3 for me. The first one is already in Kindergarten. They are all sooooo precious, a true blessing. Victor's birth weight was 10 lb. 4 oz. His head looks as big as Gio's LOL.

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:335130}}

• auntyara
    14 years ago

What beautiful boys.
    You must be so proud.
    10 lbs 4oz!!! WOW! He's a tank.
    How's Momma?
    best wishes
    :)Laura

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

Momma's fine, thank you, she's a great young woman.

Like you, Alberta, I didn't want to see them having kids so young, but now that they are here it changes everything. I wish I didn't live so far away from them, though. I'm in PA and they're all in NJ and that stinks!

Mary