Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've lost most of garden

Posted by SandysGardens 4MN (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 05 at 20:02

We had multiple storms come through Wednesday night that didn't let up for a good 5 hours. I know I should feel lucky that I still have a roof over my head, hail damage to siding and roof, but I am just sick about my garden loss. I figure I have lost a minimum of 75% of my gardens to wind and hail damage. So far tonight, I have filled (heaped) 4 large wheelbarrows of my deceased/distroyed flower plants to the compost pile and not done cleaning up. The seeds on my flowers were just becoming ripe/mature and I had just began my harvesting them, and now not much of anything left. Oh well, I know it's not the end of the world, and thanks for listening.

Many Blooms to you all!
Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've lost most of garden

Oh Sandy! Im so sorry... I know you are just sick over your yard and flowers. But at least what was damaged can be replaced and you are safe.

It goes without saying that I will be happy to send you any thing I have that you can use to rebuild your garden. Let me know if I have anything you want. I'm also drying lots more not listed so check my list often or send me an email and we can talk.

((((SANDY))))

o

Sandy,

I heard about those awful storms and am so sorry. A year ago last May, one week after I had finally planted my 500 seedlings, we were hit by a freak hail storm. It wiped out everything, new and old. I stood in the middle of the mess and cried. Nothing ever really recovered throughout the summer. But this year, with the awful memory of the previous garden still fresh in my mind, the beauty was astounding. I appreciated each & every flower just a bit more. So, with patience - which seems to be 98% of gardening anyway - yours too will return and I bet you'll love it a little more than before (if that's possible)

Ann

o

Don't hesitate to send me an email for seeds. I am standing by and it would be my pleasure to help you.

o

Ditto for me. I need to update my list. I should have that done by the end of the weekend.

o

Sandy, I am so very sorry. I was on vacation when Katrina paid her visit to TN with 60 mph winds and tore my garden to pieces. I was able to prop up most of my plants and only my Helenium 'Lemon Queen' had uprooted stems but enough survived that it will come back. It was so beautiful when I left and destroyed when I got home. Such a let down, so I can understand how you feel.

Let me know if you need seeds and I will email you a list of what I have available.
I would love to help you get your garden re-started.

Raney

o

oh Sandy, so sorry to hear this! I have tons of seed too, just let me know...

at least, it was closer to the end of the season, instead of the beginning...I know that doesn't help much...

sending you ((hugs))
let us hear from you...
Linda in Louisville

o

Sandy, I'll be happy to donate seeds, either for your use or to enable some further trading. Drop me an email.

Lisa

o

Hi Sandy,
How awful for you! Please let us help you rebuild your garden. Please post here what you want for seeds and we can all send you seeds to winter sow. I don't have a trade list up but want to send to you so please list what you would like to have, I have plenty to share.
Tina

o

Ditto what Tina said. Post your list here and we will try to fill it. This could happen to any of us and we would be the ones sharing our grief. (Of course, we all know an offer of seeds doesn't come near making up for the loss of your beautiful flowers and all the hard work you have done this year, but it will get you started for next year). Margaret

o

Very sorry Sandy I know how it feels this should be the prettiest time of year. The elk ate everything in my garden that is blooming. it is a sad sight. My neighbor who they were to full to eat her's is just bueatiful I told her I was going to put a big sign with an error pointing to her house.
Just kidding at least they left one of our yards alone.
It will look bueatiful next year.
Bludog1

o

Oh- Sandy!!
I am so sorry for you! You know what ever I can do for you I will- Just let me know! Manual labor included! You really rescued me last spring with helping to transplant seedlings into individual pots- by the hundreds - I would love to return the favour of your kindness and skilled labour- My seed box is yours- and we can take a walk through my yard again next spring and fill your truck up again! There is more for you to choose from!! This time though- we will be sure that no one gets left behind!
I am so glad that your house is still standing- and with minimal damage! There is still so much clean up and rebuilding going on all around that area-
Hugs to you and yours-
Julie

o

I would be glad to send you some seeds. Please, just send me your address. I know I would be devistated too..if I lost my gardens. It would be my pleasure to send you seeds!

Beverly (the storygardener)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here