Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OMG...Seed Saving

Posted by lblack61 z5 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 6, 06 at 12:18

I spent almost all day separating and bagging seeds. It's either a labor of love or a labor of insanity, but, nevertheless, I'm rather enjoying it!
Can I just say that Eupatorium is probably my least favorite seed to deal with so far? I don't think there's enough Claritin on the shelves to save me from it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OMG...Seed Saving

That's pretty funny. I spent several hours the other day picking and shelling castor bean seeds. I don't think I like them anymore. When they get all dry and ripe they get sharp and prickly. My fingers were sore when I was done. I think I'm going to let the rest of the seeds just fall to the ground. Normally I try to get every last seed but I don't know if I can stand it with these. Or maybe if the obsessive part of me that needs to get every last seeds gets to me I'll spread a sheet or something under the plant to catch the seeds as they fall. :)

o

was this the 1st time you saved the castor bean seeds???i have a HUGE plant with 2 seed stalks....but i am reluctant to try to get the seeds...cuz they are so poisonous...actually, i was sorta thinking maybe the rabbits that are ravaging my plants might take a bite and....

o

It's insanity... so my DH tells me LOL!!
I did have a few castor beans that self-sowed but they didn't pop up until end of July or I didn't notice them until then...either way they were seriously small and hidden.

phly1345,

You'll be fine as long as you don't eat'em and keep your hands away from your mouth just to be safe :D
I did it 2 years in row, but most of the time, if they are ripe enough, they will pop open while in the paper sack!

Vera

o

thanks vera...especially the last line!!!!!i will DEFINITELY try the paper bag thing...we are supposed to have a 29 degree nite on thurs; should they be picked before that? thanks, phyl

o

So, don't sort Castor Bean seeds and eat popcorn at the same time...lol.
Me, maybe I should sort seeds while wearing a mask...give my husband something else to laugh about :-)

o

I wonder sometimes how many hours we spend collecting, bagging, and then trying to trade or give them away. I've used at least 300 2x3 baggies so far and bought 200 more yesterday.
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here