Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Guess what I got?

vera_eastern_wa
17 years ago

DH bought be a digital camara as an early xmas present!! I'm doing the happy dance tonight LOL..teehee!!

It even has a zoom in/zoom out and can take video; has adjustable settings for daylight, cloudy weather, florescent, ect. I'm just tickled. So long camara phone :D

Vera

Comments (13)

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Yea!!!!!

I hope it has a macro feature so you can get those close-ups!

Congratulations!

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hmmmm....let me read my user guide regarding macro feature.
    Is there another term they could use? I thought the zoom feature was for that? no?

Vera

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sigh....no marco feature!!!! The zoom is also digital and not optical! I just did some online reading about understanding digital cameras and have learned the zoom I have is basically the same thing as "cropping" :(
    The mininum distance for normal pictures is 4.1 feet.
    Oh well it still is better than what I had so I'm grateful. This will be good though since I can now take garden shots vs "one-plant-shots".

Vera

• crazykwilter
    17 years ago

Vera, are you sure you don't have a macro?
    Its symbol is, of all things, a flower (like a tulip).

Within our family of 4 we have 8 digital cameras (3 are Christmas gifts to upgrade!) I personally have 3 (all gifts from DH BTW). Every camera from cheap to not-cheap has a macro feature.

Bummer about the zoom, but hey, its still an upgrade!

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi crazykwilter,

Do you have an a700 Polaroid?

It's not in the user guide under settings..all I can change under settings is: Date/time stamp, image size, ISO (Exposure Compensation), White Balance, Light metering, Sharpness, Compression, Frequency,
    I can turn off and on flash modes, auto shut-off and digital zoom. I've only gone thru the setup menu...is there more under the menu? I better go check!

Vera

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

nope...no macro here.

Vera

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Vera,

Attempt a close shot by getting about 4 inches away, don't use the zoom at all, but press the shutter button in part way for a couple seconds, hold it very still on your subject then finish pressing it.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oooo...thanks for the tip!

I tried but the shutter button won't just go part way...as soon as I touch it's snapped. I'll have to see if there is a way to slow that down :D

Vera

• crazykwilter
    17 years ago

Hi Vera, it's usually a switch or a button, not a menu option. I googled the user guide and if you have the PDC 700 its covered on page 10. Hope that helps!

Patricia

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got the user guide w/ my camera, but thanks.
    I also emailed polaroid and was told there was no macro.

Vera

• solana
    17 years ago

From year in high school as darkroom assistant:

zoom = make something distant look closer
    macro = make something really close in focus

For latter, play with the depth-of-field (how much is in focus) controlled by f-stop setting. aka aperature = how wide the lens is open. 1.4 is wide, 8 is narrow.

For any given situation, there will be a series of combinations of f-stop and shutter speed which give a good photo. Shutter speed expressed as 1/# seconds: thus 100 is slower than 800.

Wide (low f-stop #) and fast gives narrowest depth-of-field, blurring the background.

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

My digital camera has low resolution, but i can set it to take various sized shots. I take very large pictures, then I use the photo program to compress them by taking them down in size. For example, the photo in the camera may say 1600 pixels but I bring it down to 300 pixels. That gives excellent photo quality on my little old thing.
    Happy Christmas Vera. Sorry you've gotta wait until spring now to snap photos of your garden!!
    Santa came to me today. He brought a new computer, new (refurbished) lap top, new scanner, TWO extra hard drives (I use up a lotta space with all this garden stuff), extra speed, DSL and wireless to be hooked up hopefully next weekend thanks to Santa's elf!
    I can't wait to be zooming around the gardening stratophere at the speed of light. NO MORE DIAL-UP!!

GGG

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The shutter speed is 100 and I don't have a dpi or an F-stop :(
    These are my optional settings:
    EV, ISO (shutter speed), WB, Sharpness, Light Metering (Average, Center and Spot). The zoom is a 4x digital...does the same thing cropping does. I need opitical zoom which brings farther things closer and in focus.

Congrats on the laptop GGG! I hate dial-up too...we had cable but we had to downsize! ARGHHH!!! It really spoiled me :D

Vera

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs