Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Who Loves British Comedy?

bakemom_gw
18 years ago

I am a huge Absolutely Fabulous fan. From my younger days I really enjoyed Monty Python and Benny Hill.

There was a show a while back called Eddie UK or something like that. I really liked that, but I haven't seen it in a while. It was American/British and a total riot.

My best Monty Python story: When I was working in radio in Oklahoma City (early 1990s), we had a system piped through city hall that everyone (off air competition) used and everyone (colleagues) listened to. I was one of the afternoon drive news anchors. We were getting tired of everyone trying to snarf our hard work and the reporter was getting POed at the other news organizations. (this was before small cell phones that worked).

One day he snapped. We had been chatting earlier about Monty Python and his favorite episode was "Penguin on the Telly." He went on the system and did the entire routine of penguin on the telly that I ran through the entire newsroom to everyone's delight. I don't know what the other stations thought of it (and of course it wasn't on the air at that time). I was just dying laughing. Imagine, you're expecting a report on city council and you get the penguin on the telly. Great stuff.

Comments (20)

• romando
    18 years ago

I love Mr. Bean. I bought my husband a sweatshirt with Mr. Bean on it for Christmas the year we (me and Robert, lol)first started dating- 1996. Of course everybody outside of our dork circle of friends had no idea who he (Mr. Bean, lol)was...lol. And somehow, it's evading me, but every once in a while I'll watch that show with Hyacinth on PBS (love pbs!)
    I have family in Australia who absolutely don't get "Everybody Loves Raymond"... which is funny to me 'cause, 'what's there to get?!?' But that's okay; I ask them why they pronounce the a in taco like they pronounce the a in apple...hehehehe
    Amanda 'romando'

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Keeping up Appearances with Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) is my favorite. BF just doesn't get it though.

He 'has' come to enjoy the sillines of Red Green, my second favorite.

Also Raymond is a favorite American sitcom.

Sue

• Nurmey
    18 years ago

Victor of Dibely is a riot! I don't watch sitcoms on regular TV but that show will get you rolling in the isles. We own the boxed set on DVD. Our other favorite is As Time Goes By and an oldy but a goody for me is a short run series from way back called Good Neighbors. Monty Python, of course, is in a class by itself!

• nemophila
    18 years ago

Ditto all those above, and don't forget "Are You Being Served?" (my personal favorite)!

• rainfaerie
    18 years ago

Another 'Are You Being Served' fan, here! I was disappointed when my PBS discontinued the old 'Lovejoy' episodes (not really comedy, but mystery with a touch of wry humour). Do you still get 'Lovejoy'?
    Rain

• gdionelli
    18 years ago

Waiting for God is another favorite. We used to enjoy 'Allo, 'Allo but haven't been able to get it in an age.

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

DH, a couple friends and I were watching Monty's Holy Grail one night, back when we were still dating. The other couple actually got into a huge fight during the movie because she "didn't get it!" hehehe =)

Anyone remember "The Young Ones"?

GW

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    18 years ago

Way back when my hubby and I used to watch "No, Honestly" with Shirley Valentine and really enjoyed it. Now the show and the hubby have both flown the coop. Did anyone out there like this British Comedy too?
    Tina

• october17
    18 years ago

Oh, yes! Clara and C.D.!!! I miss that show too.

• gabriell_gw
    18 years ago

I love the British comedies.The Dallas PBS station startedwith them on Sunday night and added some on Saturday.I like the ones mentioned but my most favorite is Falty Towers.

• bulbs
    18 years ago

Are You Being Served & Keeping Up Appearances are both great comedies - and Lovejoy also a myst. fav. Try to find Lovejoy often with few results. See both the others more often.

I have had books about all mentioned - neat!

• singingcrk
    18 years ago

DH and I both love British comedy. Two years ago for Christmas, I got him the Monty Python box set, last year Fawlty Towers. There just aren't enough episodes! We sometimes sit up at night to watch MP after the kids have gone to bed, and just laugh until we cry.
    One of our favorite Fawlty Towers scenes: John Cleese LEAPING and stomping on this fictitious bug in the corner of the room (trying to draw attention away from the body in the wardrobe), he was just going insane, trying to "kill" this bug. Guess it's just me, but it still makes me laugh just thinking about it. DH wants to try and film some skits of our own (we're nuts), but no one would get it... besides, you can't do it without a British accent! :o)

I haven't seen "Victor of Dibely", will have to look for it.

I used to watch Are You Being Served on PBS. In fact, it's thanks to KET (local PBS) that I like British television. Comedy, murder mysteries, All Creatures Great and Small...gosh, I'd forgotten... I was in jr high/high school, we lived in the sticks, no cable, little black and white TV in my room with bad reception. Hot tea (for ambiance!), Agatha Christie...cool memories! Thanks, bakemom!

• Melinda Hagen
    18 years ago

Oh, yes! Found somebody else who even knows who Mr. Bean is! My husband and I loved him. We bought his videos and would laugh and laugh at him. He was so funny. Sorry to say that they were stolen when my house was robbed of everything a year and half ago. But now when my grandson gets to missing his papa we go to the video store and rent Mr. Bean and he watches with me (he's 9 1/2). We loved him and still do. He is hilarious! Thanks for the bittersweet memories of old days! Happy New year everyone! Melinda

• mamimo
    18 years ago

Yes! My whole family love Mr. Bean! DH and I enjoy "Are you being served", "As Time goes by", etc. Does anyone remember "Mind your language?" I loved it when I was a kid ...

• lblack61
    18 years ago

AB Fabulous and Are You Being Served are my favorites. I've been ordering AB Fab on DVD so I can watch six shows at one sitting.
    Never had much liking for Benny Hill, but my cousin-- who is a big prude-- loves him. I have never been able to figure that out.

• tindee
    18 years ago

LOVE AbFab - we own them on DVD - hubby and I were on a kick over Christmas Vacation - they're still funny the 3rd time around!!

How about Black Adder?? Any body like that one & recognize a certain actor that now appears on American TV on Tuesday evenings??

• traceym
    18 years ago

I am a brit,so i,ll give my opinion on american shows,as a kid i thought the coolest guy on the planet really was The Fonz.
    Some years later and i used to cry laughing at the Rosanne show.
    Not a comedian as such,but i would never dare to read a Bill Bryson book in public,for fear of being taken away by the men in white coats.

• lblack61
    18 years ago

Can you imagine Patsy and Edina wintersowing??? That crossed my mind yesterday. I cracked up laughing at the possibilities.

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

I LOVE British Comedy. When I was a little girl of 8 or 9 years old my fave things to watch were "Are you Being Served" and to my mother's horror, "Benny Hill". I would also fake being sick so that I could stay home and watch the "Carry On..." movies. I also love "Are you Being Served", "Keeping Up Appearances" and "My Family". The eldest boy on "My Family" just cracks me up and I love Zoe Wanamaker in Harry Potter. Mr. Bean has been a favourite for years and I too bought my husband a Mr. Bean T-shirt. His had pictures on the front like bathroom signs to indicate "lady", "man", "Bean".

My fave UK movies are "Bend it like Beckham", "Waking Ned Devine"(you MUST see this one) and "Saving Grace". Anyone else enjoy these or other movies?

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Big BritCom fan here. I love Faulty Towers and Mulberry

Penny

Sponsored