Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Mum

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 14, 06 at 11:05

When will this ever go dormant and how do I know it's dormant? The petals are just now falling away and the leaves are still think and turgid. The overnight temps have been anywhere between 29-33. I assume I will have to wait until the whole plant dies back (or do they?) before I put it to bed in the storage unit. I plan on burying the pot and all in a bag of leaves until spring when I can plant it.

Thanks,

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Mum

Mine are putting on new growth near the base...it takes a very hard freeze for an extended period to knock mums into true dormancy.

Is there a reason you don't want to plant it now? It is a hardy variety? Of course, I have ones that are not supposed to be hardy come back.

I have always planted mums in late fall, mulched them in well (they like lots of mulch, but not if it has just rained...wait until the ground if fairly dry to mulch) and then there they were in the spring.

If you are nervous about that, you can save a piece to root indoors.

o
RE: My Mum

I'm not planting it until spring because its to late to plant perennials. They should be planted at least 6 weeks before the first frost. We will be getting good hard consistent freezes within a week or two.

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here