Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I once asked about the use of 'newbie' in forum subjects

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 14:02

I once asked about the use of "newbie" in forum subjects rather than 'rookie' or 'beginner' or 'novice' or some such.

I've lost my thread but I found an answer. The word "newbie" entered entered discussion groups back in the prime days of Usenet, about 1994 or so. The word 'newbie' was apparently computer technology slang from 1970 and is believed to be patterned after 'freebie' which was already a well established word in promotional materials.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I once asked about the use of 'newbie' in forum subjects

• Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 12:59

Nowadays it's developed into a term that just means beginner. With WS, which is a free/cheap method there might be some tangentially associated overlap, but newbies are beloved to us and treated with great respect. They are beginners and we love helping them. WSers are enablers and beginners are to be enabled.

o

Hi, I guess I'm a newbie... Just learning all about Winter Sowing. Want to try it this year and I have been reading all I can about it so I can get ahead on the garden come spring. :) I think this seed swapping will be fun too. I don't have a lot to swap but some marigolds and zinnas.
Thanks trudi_d for you everything you do for WS

o

I read that among the geeks and nerds 'newbie' had evolved into 'noobs'.

I saw 'noobs' used for the first time on the discussion side of this forum today. Perhaps new jargon has arrived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here