Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

What Are You Thankful For This Year?

shinyalloy mentioned starting a thread here for mentioning things you are thankful for, so I am jumping in to start the thread...

I am thankful for all the really nice people in this forum. People here are especially kind and generous to each other, and that is a precious thing.

I am thankful for the chance through the exchanges and round robins to try growing so many more types of seeds/plants than I could ever have if I had to buy all the seeds. This has expanded my horizon in just 2 years from growing mostly roses, to other perennial flowers, to including some vegetables/fruit. I would never have learned to appreciate chinese forget-me-nots and rediscover cosmos if someone had not sent me extra seeds that were not on my wish lists.

I am grateful, this year, for the gift of time. Between my job and helping out my elderly parents, I have not had a free weekend since spring. Now I have vacation time I have to use or lose, which means about 3 weeks of vacation over the holidays.

I am grateful for the mild weather this year that will make working outdoors easier, and grateful for a small yard to make catching up on 6 months of outdoor chores possible.

What are you grateful for?

Lois in PA

Comments (12)

• shoregrowin

My little kitty just pushed her face up by the computer while I was reading your post and said "Mmmmm..." I'm thankful for the love of pets, family, friends and my DH. Not in that order, just how it came about! :)

I'm thankful that my NY GIANTS won their game today- ditto COLTS!

I'm very thankful for this wonderful forum of amazing, giving and caring people. You all ROCK!!!!

Huge thanks to the Lord, he ROCKS too! :)
    I'm thankful for the sun shining, the moon lighting the night and those brilliant starry skies. Man, do we have it good or what?
    I must also give thanks for Yuengling Lager, they've been at it since 1829, so must be doing something VERY right. Hee Hee!
    Yeah, a tad on the tipsy side... s'all good.

Lois I have a few of your wanted seeds, Christmas is coming- email your address and I'll send you a present. You HAVE been good, right? :)

FYI- the evening of December 14th comes an awesome meteor shower. Up to 100 meteors an hour if weather conditions are good. Starting from 9pm to the wee hours- eyes to the skies!

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Shore

• shoregrowin

My little kitty just pushed her face up by the computer while I was reading your post and said "Mmmmm..." I'm thankful for the love of pets, family, friends and my DH. Not in that order, just how it came about! :)

I'm very thankful for this wonderful forum of amazing, giving and caring people. You all ROCK!!!!

I'm thankful for the sun shining, the moon lighting the night and those brilliant starry skies. Man, do we have it good or what?
    I must also give thanks for Yuengling Lager, they've been at it since 1829, so must be doing something VERY right. Hee Hee!

Lois I have a few of your wanted seeds, Christmas is coming- email your address and I'll send you a present. You HAVE been good, right? :)

FYI- the evening of December 14th comes an awesome meteor shower. Up to 100 meteors an hour if weather conditions are good. Starting from 9pm to the wee hours- eyes to the skies!

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Shore

• shoregrowin

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Shore

• shoregrowin

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Shore

• shinyalloy_5
    14 years ago

I am thankful for the three days off this week:
    one to plant my bulbs
    one to spend with family
    and one to visit my terminal friend who has just been moved to a VA hospital out of state
    I'm also thankful to you lois for starting this thread that I didn't get around to before I had to run off to work
    and to you Shore for the tip on the meteor shower, had to mark it on my calendar.
    Mostly I'm thankful after being layed off for 10 months to have a job again. It may not be as great as the job I had before but I am more fortunate than many in this manufacturing town. also grateful for GWer's and the distraction wintersowing brought me during the tough times.

GO COLTS!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amen to that "Lord Rocks", shore!

Wow, I'll mark the 14th on my calendar, too. The Geminid meteor shower. I watched for the Perseid meteors in summer and saw 4 meteors.

shinyalloy, congrats on your new job. I hope it turns into something better than your wildest dreams. :o)

Oh those Colts.. DH promptly became a Colts fan when they signed that Peyton boy. He's followed Peyton since Manning's Tennessee University days. I am glad DH has a Colts jacket now because his brother used to call him the Great Pumpkin (because he dressed in Tennessee orange).

Lois in PA

• drippy
    14 years ago

I'm thankful that despite a year or two of what seems like never-ending challenges, every corner we turn opens a new door, and it all seems to turning out alright. God is good.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am so glad things are turning to the good for you, drippy. PTL.

Lois in PA

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

In October I celebrated my third year of survival from colon cancer.

My husband is a second year survivor of esophageal cancer.

Our doctor calls us Animals (meaning strong and tough).

Mary

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, so glad for you, Mary, those are both tough cancers to survive. Here's to a healthy, happy, and "seedy" Christmas and new year for you both.

Lois in PA

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

Thanks Lois, we're doing great! We plan to be around for many more years.

Mary

• carrie630
    14 years ago

wow - just read this thread - mary...you and your husband have been through so much and are doing really well! I hope you both stay wonderfully healthy.

I feel thankful to be alive and for my sense of humor which makes my friends and family laugh, which in turn, makes me happy... and I LOVE MY GARDEN FRIENDS! Such support and fun on this forum - it's the best!

Carrie

Sponsored