Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Already Missing The Garden

Posted by lblack61 z5 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 07 at 15:08

What I'd like is a way to grow vegetables in the winter. I'm really having an issue with prices in the stores lately.
I'm also thinking of WSing more root veggies next year, just because I can pull them up as I need them until the ground freezes-- like the carrots I'm still harvesting...and boy are they sweet! :-)
I think next year, I will do a much better job of canning and protecting areas from my dog. I didn't plant more greens late in the season because my dog was in constant dig mode and I gave in to her. Not next year! I'm jonesing for collard and mustard greens and spinach like you wouldn't believe!

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Already Missing The Garden

Hi Linda
I've got parsnips still in the ground, this weather is just crazy here, today and yesterday were in the 50's. I"m thinking of adding the parsnips to Christmas dinner. I love collards and I have grown them in the past, but haven't lately because of the cabbage worms. Have a good holiday season.
Alberta

o
RE: Already Missing The Garden

Thanks, Alberta...you too! :-)
Yep, my carrots are still in the ground, and in Feb, if I have to, I will put on my snowshoes and dig a hole to pull them up. I can't believe the prices on produce in the grocery stores lately...out of this world!
I would love to just mellow out and live by a "eat what you can grow and what doesn't grow don't eat" manner. I just bought a book by Barbara Kingsolver where she and her family spent a year doing that. I'm looking forward to reading it, when this semester of school is done.

L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here