Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Got a good slow cooker recipe?

tiffy_z5_6_can
15 years ago

Oh please share it with me!:O) I need some ideas. I love to cook with my slow cooker but always "him 'n haw" at the recipes I find when I google.

You folks must have some tried and true tested recipes?! Can you share them?

Comments (35)

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Roasted Whole Rosemary Chicken

My slow cooker has a rack which works well for this, though you could probably do without a rack.

Place rosemary (fresh is best) in the cavity and on outside of bird, rub outside with your favorite rub. (I use cajun). Cook on high 4 or 5 hours. I've also done it on low for about 8 hours, though such low heat for cooking poultry isn't recommended. But then, neither is roasting stuffing inside a turkey and I do that too...

Karen

• lblack61
    15 years ago

I can't recall a single slow cooker recipie that rocked my boat enough for me to remember it.
    ...which sucks, because it could save me a lot of time.
    I have a slow cooker cookbook, but some of the things in it are just plain weird. I'm too scared to try them.

And is it me, or do some meats (pork and beef) turn out dry when cooked in the slow cooker?

L

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

lblack61,If ya put enough liquid (water or broth) to cover the bottom of your crock & leave the lid on it shouldn't dry out.
    I cook all my roasts in the crock, just season your roast ( I use season salt & sometimes I only use pepper) Then I flour the roast & brown it on the stove, In the crock I have carrots & onions on the bottom than add the roast on top & either add a small amount of water or can beef broth. If I put taters in they always turn brown so I just cook & mash then later.
    #2 I will put what ever kind of meat I have (pork steak, left over hamburger patties, or round steak) & over the top of the meat I will add chopped onions & a can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with half a can of water & I will add in some beef broth or a teaspoon of beef bouillon, If ya leave it on all day the meat will just fall apart, I will cook a package of dry egg noodles & serve the meat on top of them yummmy mashed taters is good with this to ")

#3 TEX MEX SOUP
    I have made this one alot also
    1 lb hamburger browned & drained
    1 pkg dry Ranch dressing mix ( I use Hidden Valley )
    1 pkg dry Taco seasoning
    1 cup water
    3 cans 15 oz tomatoes
    1 can 15 oz pinto beans
    1 can 15 oz navy beans
    1 can 15 oz kidney beans
    Let simmer all day ")
    I just use what ever kinds of beans I have on hand.

#4 I also just throw some chicken (my son likes the leg quarters & DH likes the breasts LOL go figure ! hahah) in it & season it either with season salt & onion OR Italian Dressing. It is always good with a baked tater zapped in the microwave or just for sandwiches
    I'm starting to get hungry LOL
    Jan ")

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those chicken recipes sound good and whole chickens are on sale this week. :O)

Just tried one this week...
    Pork ribs cut into pieces (I cut 4 bone portions), and layered with ketchup and BBQ sauce mixed together. I cooked it for 4 hours on high and left it on low for 2 hours. Meat was just falling off the bones and it was delicious over white rice with a side of veggies.

They should have a contraption for slow cookers that is like a rack which sits above your meat and will 'steam' veggies as it cooks the meat. That would be ideal. I love steamed veggies!

Linda, In my slow cooker I actually have to reduce the amount of liquids since by the time it finishes cooking there will be too much.

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Tiffy: I have the Rival 6 qt. programmable crock pot with a rack. I bought the pot in a store but ordered the rack online. I works great with things like the whole chicken.
    Looks just like the one in this link. I have seen these in stores, though usually just called a meat rack, not specific for slow cookers. I use it when baking things in the oven, too.

I have to admit that I don't use my crock pot much.

Lilyjane: I make that same soup, but always just cook it on the stove in a big pot. Seems easier to me, less pots to wash too!

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: crock pot rack

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Anyone have a great slow cooker receipe for pot roast? The ones I have tried are too bland.

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

Hi Karen ")
    I usually mix my hamburger with a little water & boil it,& than drain to get all the grease off, & I will do a big bunch of it on the weekend so that what ever we decide to have during the week the meat is all ready cooked. We use it for tacos, spaghetti, soups, chili, hamberhelper, & sometimes put it in scrambled eggs. The kids really like the taco meat mixed in with melted Velveta cheese for a cheese dip or also mixed in with mac & cheese.
    jan ")

• shemeows
    15 years ago

I do lentil soup just about once a week during winter months. All it takes is dry lentils, carrots, one medium onion, garlic to taste (I leave the cloves whole, as to be able to remove them when I serve it), a bay leaf, a squirt of olive oil and a generous dash of paprika. Cover it with water or broth, turn it on low and let it cook six or so hours. If you season it with salt and pepper, I'd do it at the end. It's really tasty and it needs little of either.

It really hits the spot in the winter.

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

Crock Pot Italian Chicken Recipe

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
    1/2 cup water
    1 8 oz. package cream cheese (softened)
    1 can (10-3/4oz)condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 can (4oz) drained
    Hot cooked noodles

Place the chicken in a crock pot.

Combine the salad dressing mix and water and pour over chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.

In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and soup until blended.

Add the mushrooms.

Pour over chicken.

Cook 1 more hour, and serve over hot cooked noodles, noodles or mashed potatoes.

My husband likes it rich, so I add an extra packet of italian dressing mix and extra cream cheese. We use chicken broth instead of water. Can also add parmesian cheese. Add red pepper flakes for a little kick.

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

One real quickie that comes to mind right now is what I do when I am rushing off to work! :)
    -Brown some ground beef (or ground chicken if you prefer)....enough for your fam--we like less
    -throw that in the pot when it is browned to your liking
    -toss in one bottle of salsa--mild, hot, or whatever
    -add a cup or so of corn and a can (or two) of black beans
    -set on low and go to work!!
    when you come home and if you have lots of time--make a big pot of brown rice
    if you are short on time then make some 'instant rice' (do the brown to make it a 'bit' more healthy! :)
    serve over the rice and pass a big salad :)(bring home the bagged kind and add a few goodies if you are in a real rush)

I have a couple more real faves but will have to send them when I have more time.
    gg

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Oh, gg, just what I need today as I have ground beef waiting to be used tonight and wanting something different. Thanks. Off to get started.
    Bobbie

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hope you enjoy it Bobbie. Leftovers (if there are any) are even better the next day.

As you will see by the next recipe, I am not really big on actual recipes although I do have a book of crockpot 'light' recipes.

This is one that is even easier than the first one I posted

One pork roast--I used a nice loin roast that was on sale real cheap. Trim off any fat and put in pot. Pour one whole bottle(small) of your favourite BBQ sauce over top. Put on low if you are going to be away for a long time--8-10 hours or high if you only have a shorter time--five or six hours. Judge by the size of your roast.
    When you are almost ready for supper, take two forks and pull the roast apart--shred it into little pieces and mix it up into the sauce.
    Serve it on nice big whole wheat hamburger buns (toasted if you like) and have some coleslaw with it. Add more BBQ sauce on top if you like more.
    gg

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You folks are making me drool! :O)

Keep it up.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

gg, those are the kinds of recipes I like, ones that take just a few ingredients that one usually has on hand and is quick & easy to put together. And even better if leftovers taste great the next day.

Thanks.
    Bobbie

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

gg, those are the kinds of recipes I like, ones that take just a few ingredients that one usually has on hand and is quick & easy to put together. And even better if leftovers taste great the next day.

Thanks.
    Bobbie

• ladycraft
    15 years ago

I've made Lilyjane's Tex Mex soup with corn in it. Changes the taste a little.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

In the wintertime, I use my crockpot about once a week. I have a Taco Soup recipes similar to Jan's Tex Mex Soup, but the two things I use mine for the most is a whole chicken recipe, and pork roasts. I have to run a couple of errands this morning. I'll post the recipes when I get back.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

There is no liquid added to this recipe, and the meat is always fall off the bone tender, never dry.

Chicken and Basil Rub

1 whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
    1 Tbsp salt
    2 tspn sugar
    1/4 tspn paprika
    1/4 tspn garlic powder
    1/2 tspn pepper
    1 Tbsp basil
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    2 Tbsp oil

Mix all ingredients together, then rub all over chicken. Cook on low for 7 - 8 hours.

I live at a high altitude, so mine takes closer to 10 hours to be just perfect. The leftover broth makes an awesome soup stock.

This next recipe came from the B H & G cookbook:

Shredded Savory Pork

1 (3 pound) boneless pork roast
    8 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tspn ground coriander
    2 tspn cumin
    1 tspn onion powder
    2 tspn dried oregano, crushed
    1/2 tspn salt
    1/2 tspn black pepper
    1 cup beef broth

Mix all seasonings together, rub over roast. Place in crockpot, add broth. Cover, and cook 8 - 10 hours on low, or 4 - 5 on high.

Sometimes I replace the beef broth with diced green chilies or salsa, and use the meat for tacos. Other times, I use the broth, and slice approx. 1/2" thick and serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.

Hope you enjoy!
    Bonnie

• goldfishliberator
    15 years ago

I usually use my slow cooker for roasts. I don't follow a recipe, but I have a couple tips to make sure it's great.

Roasts with the bone are the best--it always ends up more tender and moist (possibly cheaper) and the collagen in the bone/marrow thickens the liquid to make a sauce. My favorite is a 7-Bone roast.

After you season with salt and pepper, pat on flour on all sides and brown the roast in a super hot pan. It should only take a couple minutes for all sides, and it is SO worth it. Lot's of flavor and, again, the flour thickens the sauce.

Use liquids that have flavor: canned/cartoned stock, wine, beer. Or if you have to use water add a packet of onion soup mix. I usually do that even if I'm using stock.

The number one secret trick: add a tablespoon or two of instant tapioca at the beginning and it makes for a perfectly thickened sauce by the time the roast is done. No weird tapioca texture. It's magic.

I love my slow cooker. This reminds me I don't use it enough!

Kathryn

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

"After you season with salt and pepper, pat on flour on all sides and brown the roast in a super hot pan. It should only take a couple minutes for all sides, and it is SO worth it." that is the same way I cook my roast but I had never heard of the tapioca pudding, I'll give that a try, I also like to add an onion quartered & baby carrots under the roast. Yummm
    jan")

• goldfishliberator
    15 years ago

I know, it sounds ridiculous. I was skeptical, but it really works. Your little box of tapioca will last forever too, unless you're also making tapioca!

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Here's a website that I found recently and like. Viewers have rated the recipes and a lot of them have simple ingredients that I would actually already have on hand. Some have more reviews than others. I went to slow cooker chicken recipes and then clicked on the tab that said "top 20" for the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: AllRecipes.com Slow cooker chicken recipes

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Christie, I have also used some of the recipes from AllRecipes.com and found them and the comments helpful.

One of the nice things about getting recipes here is that I know the people through our postings and can think of them when I use their recipes.

Thanks everyone for sharing. I made a loin roast on Friday then my kids called and invited us to go to a Korean restraunt with them. Put the roast in the fridge and used it for pulled pork sandwiches the last two days. It was very tasty.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Sounds good! I fixed a pot roast with potatoes and carrots in my slow cooker for us on Sunday. I flour mine first and brown it like Kathryn and Jan. I've never heard of using tapioca though. That's a nice tip. When my daughter and her hubby come over, there's seven of us. I decided at the last minute that I needed some kind of bread to go with the roast and made garlic cheese biscuits using Bisquick. They were very easy and the kids loved them. The recipes at Allrecipes.com said to brush the tops with melted butter and garlic so I did and it sure made them taste good.

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

This one sounds weird, but trust me... my family loves it!

Dredge a pot roast in flour and brown it on a high heat.

Put it in a crock pot and pour a can of cola over it, add a couple of cloves of garlic and jar of chili sauce. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

I usually use a little corn starch to thicken the gravy, but next time I think I'll add tapioca... then serve it over wide egg noodles.

It isn't nearly as sweet as you might think with the cola, and it's just so simple and quick to throw together!

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Great recipies!

I did something quite similar to what lillyjane did. I wanted something like Beef-n-Noodles and didn't find anything I really liked on Allrecipies.com.
    I had some cut up cross-rib and round steak I made into stew meat size chunks. I seasoned and browned the meat then tossed into crockpot. Then I added 2 cans of cream of celery, about 1 cup water and an envelope of brown gravy mix and about 1 T worchestershire. I added a green bell pepper cut into strips and about 2 cloves of minced garlic. Cooked on low for about 5 hours. Mixed all with cooked macaroni and it was polished off quick! I would have used egg noodles, but only had regular mac. The outcome was very tender meat and all was very creamy and simply YUM!

Yesterday I did a crockpot of Red Beans and Rice (rice cooked on the side) and it was good.
    Soak 1 c. dried beans overnight, drain and rinse beans.
    Add to crock. Chop up green bell pepper, celery and onion (the Holy Trinity) and toss in. Add garlic, creole seasoning and pepper. If desired also add Crushed Red Pepper or Cayenne. Toss in a ham-hock if you have one. I usually do but all I had was bacon ends. If you have access to Andouille Sausage, slice into rounds and saute just a bit and add that as well. You can also saute the "Holy Trinity" with the sausage if you want or skip it (it's gonna cook all day). I didn't have any Andouille so substituted with chopped Turkey-Ham (this also gave the smoked flavor I missed not having the Ham-hock! Plus it's healthier!). Add about 3-4 c. water...just so beans are covered. Add a bay leaf. Cook on high 5-6 hours or cook on low for 10-11.
    Serve over rice and garnish with green onion.
    Note: If it isn't thick enough for you at the end, take a spoon and mash some of the beans up on the side of the pot and let it cook on high with the lid off for about 1 more hour. If it's STILL not as think as you want then you can go ahead and do cornstarch/water and mix in.

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Oh yeah. Want a pot roast to die for?

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

Well yeah! Share it retired!

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Did this last week and it turned out great. I adjusted my usual oven recipe for the crockpot.

1 4lb chuck roast
    3 tablespoons olive oil or veg oil
    2 cans beef broth (15 oz)
    1 cup red wine
    1 small onion, very thinly sliced
    1 small can tomato paste (6 oz)
    1 tsp thyme
    1 bay leaf
    baby carrots
    chopped celery (1 inch)
    red potatoes (about 1 1/2" diced)
    1 jar pearl onions, drained ( 15 oz)
    Flour (or cornstarch) and water for thickening
    Salt and pepper to taste

Brown the roast on both sides in a frying pan in oil. Place the roast in the crock pot and add two cans beef broth and the red wine. Slice the small onion very thinly (almost transparent) and add to the pot. Set on high for 2 hours.

Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, and the can of tomato paste. Turn heat down to low and continue cooking for another 2 hours or until the vegetables are tender. While the pot is still simmering, add flour and water to thicken the gravy to desired consistency. Let the pot return to a boil, then shut off. Remove the lid from the crockpot.

Add the drained pearl onions. Let the pot sit for 20-30 minutes to rest and to allow the gravy to thicken before serving. Adjust taste by adding salt and pepper.

Serve over wide egg noodles or by itself in deep bowls. Offer some good crunchy French or Italian bread for mopping up the gravy!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YUM! YUM! YUM!

So last Sunday I decided I was going to make a simple chicken. Don't have a rack, so I set the foil balls on the bottom, Paprikaed the chicken after I stuffed it with a couple of small onions and in it went.

Turned out pretty good but in the future I think I'll do aluminum rods to hold up the chicken since the balls didn't work too well.

I'm thinking of making a roast next Sunday. Lots of great recipes here.

Did some stewed beef before but that didn't turn out too well. Now I realize I didn't 'sear' the beef and should have. DUH!!

The oven is on the blink right now so this method of cooking will be used most often until it gets fixed.

Just ate supper, and after reading more recipes, I'm hungry again. Good stuff!!

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

I tried Bonnie's-highalttransplant- Chicken w/ basil rub and everyone Loved it! Just like she said Tender! My 6 year old nephew had 3 helpings & he is fussy. No gravy or cranberry sauce needed as it was so moist.

thanks Bonnie

• october17
    15 years ago

Use the lipton onion soup mix with a beef roast. Just put the roast in, sprinkle with the soup mix and add about 1/4 cup of water. Really, really tasty! Can add the potatoes and carrots and onions too! (All recipes say to layer veggies under meat.)

I also make a split pea very similar to the lentil recipe above (w/garlic, onion & carrot). It's really really good. Just use any leftover ham or bacon, or no meat! Use a can of chicken broth and add water to cover.

• gardencrazy
    15 years ago

I use my crock pot very often and my favorite thing to do is any meat but usually chicken in just about any Campbell's soup. Cream of Chicken, Cream of mushroom, Cream of Celery but I like the Cream of Broccoli best. and the cheesey cream of broccoli is even better.

Chicken, 2 cans of soup and equal amount of water. cook 4 or 5 hours. turn crock pot off and pour in instant rice (same amount as the 2 cans.) put lid on and let set for about 1/2 hour. (sometimes I pour a bag of broccoli in about 2/3 way through the cooking time.)

Also same recipe only use pork chops and 2 cans of rotel tomatoes. add rice.

same recipe works well in the oven too.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I just ran across this thread again. Playintheyard, I'm so glad to hear that someone tried the recipe, and likes it as much as we do.

Bonnie

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    15 years ago

Been cooking this one for years. Everyone likes it.

Kansas City Steak Soup

3 cups water
    1 pound ground beef or finely diced chuck roast browned and drained
    2 small onions, chopped
    1 ten-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    2-4 tablespoons beef base, granules or paste
    2 carrots, sliced
    1 14-ounce can tomatoes
    1/4 cup butter (I use Smart Balance)
    1/4 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Put all ingredients except butter and flour in crock pot. Cover and cook on low 8-12 hours (high 4-6 hours). One hour before serving, turn to high. Make a paste of the butter and flour. Stir until smooth. Pour into crock pot and stir until well-blended. Cook soup on high until thickened.

Note: Sometimes I add two or three small diced potatoes. If I have it, I add a little cooked, diced chicken along with the beef. I use leftover broth from cooked vegetables instead of water. I freeze the liquid from cooked vegetables, so I usually have some around.

Hope you like this as much as we do!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living