Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Webkat: Muhly Grass

pitimpinai
17 years ago

Webkat, I finally planted the Muhly Grass in the ground today. Yayy! Got five pretty little clumps. Hope they'll survive the winter. I am going to mulch them good. We are supposed to get another El Nino this winter, so......

I didn't sow all the seeds. I think I'll sow the rest this winter.

Thanks for the seeds. :-)

Comments (13)

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Yea!!! So glad they worked well for you!!

Did they bloom this fall? Mine finally did...a little late (I didn't get them in the ground soon enough), I think, but it was nice to see.

I think I will have to sow more, too...I want a field of it!

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You are kidding! They are only about 6" tall. I didn't think they would even germinate. I sorta neglect them all summer because I didn't know where to plant them. I finally decided to revamp the front bed and will do mostly grass there. So in the Muhly went. I hope I am actually in zone 6 as a lot of people think we are. I saw this grass on Marco Island, Fl a few days ago. I think it's your Muhly:

{{gwi:335558}}
    {{gwi:335559}}

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Yep, that looks like it!

The clump I started last year grew to around a 6 inch wide/2 feet tall clump by fall. I got it in the ground early and it just took off...bloomed so nicely, too.

I definitely need more groupings of it....doesn't make much of a statement in single clumps.

• ilsa
    17 years ago

Wow - that's beautiful! My husband has decided he likes ornamental grasses (whew - he's FINALLY interested!!) - specifically the taller Maiden Grass (miscanthus der??). Bet he'd like this, too.

Thanks for sharing the pics - I'll have to see if I can find some for him.

Ilsa

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ilsa,
    The tall Maiden Grass I like best is 'Morning Light'. I have 3 in my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light'

• ilsa
    17 years ago

pitimpinai - that's it! that's the one he likes!! Thanks you!!

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ilsa,
    Here's another favorite. Miscanthus sinensis 'Yaku Jima'. About 5 years old. ~5ft tall now. Just the right height for the front of a border in front of a small house like mine. I planted it next to the sidewalk at the end of a flower bed just like an exclamation mark. The colors are gorgeous. I took these pictures today:
    {{gwi:335560}}

{{gwi:335561}}

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Hey...does that one come true from seed?

Sooooo....how does one come across the seeds for that...any ideas?? Hint, hint...lol!

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't know, Kat; I have never tried sowing them.

"Sooooo....how does one come across the seeds for that...any ideas??"
    lol. Maybe a few fronds from Chicago to MO? :-D

Donn said he was sucessful in germinating some Miscanthus before. I don't know whether his came true from seeds. I had another beautiful clump at the temple. Someone in charge there had a different opinion and removed it this summer. I was hopping mad when I found it left to die despite my request to keep it alive for me to go get it back.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

I would have been hopping mad, myself...

I transplanted a large clump of an unknown (couldn't remember what it was) a bit too close to the pasture fence....well...the next morning, the @%#*@(#!! horses had yanked the whole thing up and it was laying on the ground!

I put it in a different spot, hope it comes through the ordeal!

I would LOVE to try this one from seed...I know Maiden Grass will do well from seed...

Please clip and save me some! I will be updating my list in December (school will be over) and should have some things for you...

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I packed some up and will mail the package out in the morning.
    Happy Thanksgiving. :-)

• donn_
    17 years ago

It isn't likely that 'Yaku Jima' will come true from seed. If you get viable seeds, and if you get them to germinate, you'll probably get species M.s..

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Worth a try, I suppose....I can live with a 'probably'. :o)

Thanks Pitimpinai!! I will remember this!

Sponsored