Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Webkat: Muhly Grass

Posted by pitimpinai z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 8, 06 at 20:18

Webkat, I finally planted the Muhly Grass in the ground today. Yayy! Got five pretty little clumps. Hope they'll survive the winter. I am going to mulch them good. We are supposed to get another El Nino this winter, so......

I didn't sow all the seeds. I think I'll sow the rest this winter.
Thanks for the seeds. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Webkat: Muhly Grass

Yea!!! So glad they worked well for you!!

Did they bloom this fall? Mine finally did...a little late (I didn't get them in the ground soon enough), I think, but it was nice to see.

I think I will have to sow more, too...I want a field of it!

o

You are kidding! They are only about 6" tall. I didn't think they would even germinate. I sorta neglect them all summer because I didn't know where to plant them. I finally decided to revamp the front bed and will do mostly grass there. So in the Muhly went. I hope I am actually in zone 6 as a lot of people think we are. I saw this grass on Marco Island, Fl a few days ago. I think it's your Muhly:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Yep, that looks like it!

The clump I started last year grew to around a 6 inch wide/2 feet tall clump by fall. I got it in the ground early and it just took off...bloomed so nicely, too.

I definitely need more groupings of it....doesn't make much of a statement in single clumps.

o

• Posted by ilsa 5b or 6a/KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 20, 06 at 13:21

Wow - that's beautiful! My husband has decided he likes ornamental grasses (whew - he's FINALLY interested!!) - specifically the taller Maiden Grass (miscanthus der??). Bet he'd like this, too.

Thanks for sharing the pics - I'll have to see if I can find some for him.

Ilsa

o

Ilsa,
The tall Maiden Grass I like best is 'Morning Light'. I have 3 in my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light'

o

• Posted by ilsa 5b or 6a/KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 21, 06 at 13:11

pitimpinai - that's it! that's the one he likes!! Thanks you!!

o

Ilsa,
Here's another favorite. Miscanthus sinensis 'Yaku Jima'. About 5 years old. ~5ft tall now. Just the right height for the front of a border in front of a small house like mine. I planted it next to the sidewalk at the end of a flower bed just like an exclamation mark. The colors are gorgeous. I took these pictures today:

o

Hey...does that one come true from seed?

Sooooo....how does one come across the seeds for that...any ideas?? Hint, hint...lol!

o

I don't know, Kat; I have never tried sowing them.

"Sooooo....how does one come across the seeds for that...any ideas??"
lol. Maybe a few fronds from Chicago to MO? :-D

Donn said he was sucessful in germinating some Miscanthus before. I don't know whether his came true from seeds. I had another beautiful clump at the temple. Someone in charge there had a different opinion and removed it this summer. I was hopping mad when I found it left to die despite my request to keep it alive for me to go get it back.

o

I would have been hopping mad, myself...

I transplanted a large clump of an unknown (couldn't remember what it was) a bit too close to the pasture fence....well...the next morning, the @%#*@(#!! horses had yanked the whole thing up and it was laying on the ground!

I put it in a different spot, hope it comes through the ordeal!

I would LOVE to try this one from seed...I know Maiden Grass will do well from seed...

Please clip and save me some! I will be updating my list in December (school will be over) and should have some things for you...

o

I packed some up and will mail the package out in the morning.
Happy Thanksgiving. :-)

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 25, 06 at 19:17

It isn't likely that 'Yaku Jima' will come true from seed. If you get viable seeds, and if you get them to germinate, you'll probably get species M.s..

o

Worth a try, I suppose....I can live with a 'probably'. :o)

Thanks Pitimpinai!! I will remember this!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here