Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgrow_gardens

You don't always find flowers at the park..

bgrow_gardens
16 years ago

Well this happened a while ago and I forgot to mention it so I thought I would share it while I happened upon it - just an interesting story - that happened to me.

Hoffman comes home, JUNE 24,2007

While enjoying "field day" at Ancil Hoffman park. We were working other ham radio stations around the U.S., and Canada and around the world for the day. We were operating a battery powered station, and well we were enjoying the day. I saw some little bird flit down under the picnic bench I was sitting at while reading a good book. So I peaked down when I notice that I had moved my foot and yet nothing had fluttered off like birds will tend to do. Wondering if he had taken off while I hadn't noticed? I looked down and saw of all things, a zebra finch. I recognized him after having worked a year or so at a local pet shop... I was surprised to see him out and about and thought for sure that he would fly off any second. Much to my surprise he was begging food and was greedily gobbling up our crumbs. He was also quite bald and beaten up to boot. The wild birds must have been giving him a really hard time, cause he did not fit in with the normal crowd of wild birds of course...

I think the poor little guy was on his last legs for sure. I don't think he could have reasonably flown away, or he would have for sure.. So I put a towel down over him and carefully scooped him up and took him home. (Oh God what am I going to do? I can't let anyone, human, or otherwise go hungry!! ) Not too count o.k. we have 9 cockatiel's, and a blue&gold Macaw!!! Do I need more?? NO!! However, they are all my DH & son's birds so I guess there is always room for 1 more? So thank goodness I always keep a couple of spare cage's on hand for emergency's, most importantly to me fires. So into a spare cage he goes, complete with food, dishes, and water. You never saw such a happy bird. He was actually excited to be there, boy did he chow down like there's no tomorrow. So he spent the better part of the week out in the garage on top of my freezer in temporary quarantine. He is always happy to see me, and would beep at me excitedly whenever I went into the garage. I guess I was adopted by him. So I thought he was lonely, and I decided to go get him a pal. So off to the pet store I went, and promptly bought him a girlfriend. I brought her home and put her in the cage with him and watched them to see how they got along. They really got along terrifically, and were buddy's quickly. Now it is November and finally Hoffman grew in feathers. Well much to my surprise was that what I thought was a he is actually a she! Well the feathers never quite grew back in straight. As a matter of fact, they are every which way like she was caught in a violent windstorm. Of course we named the other little finch Ancil so now they are really are a pair. Just shows you that some things just find you in the most unexpected ways. I was just there for the field day, BBQ and of course flower seeds. After all those poor plants need deadheading too...

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz