Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WKRP Secret Revealed

Posted by bakemom z6 Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 24, 05 at 22:49

Each Thanksgiving since 1989 and earlier, we all sit down to a viewing of the WKRP sitcom where the turkeys bomb the parking mall. We love it.

Back to the early 1980s...I used to be in radio and I had a bet with a college chum of mine that I could figure out the lyrics to the trailing theme music before he could. It was $20. Find out today that those elusive lyrics are not lyrics at all, but just gibberish as they sound.

The trivia page says that the lyrics were just gibberish thrown together by the studio musicians who were trying to compose a theme song for the end of the show. They had the music, but just wanted to run that by the bosses. The result - they kept the gibberish and we have the out theme today.

Mystery solved. I called my friend who lives in Iowa and reminded him of the bet (he had forgotten) and told him the bet was off. He laughed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Ok, I guess it's just me

I guess I'm the only one who's smitten by this old brain teaser. BUT, you guys should check out the old WKRPs when they show up on re-runs. Very funny and very well written. And.... remember the trailer.

o
RE: WKRP Secret Revealed

Gosh, I used to LOVE to watch that show! SHHH!!! (Don't look know, but we're showing our age, lol!!)

Now looking at the show schedule, all the previews, they sure got some stupid a** looking programs coming on, like Daisy does America. That looks like the stupidest thing I've seen!!! Just goes to show the mentality of the American couch potato!!!

Nancy

o

Okay, I used to love that show, too. I was probably too young to get alot of the jokes (I'm 26 now), but we watched it together as a family. My oldest sister lived in Cincy, and when we visited her, she would take us by that fountain that they show in the beginning credits.

I don't remember the trailing music, though. But I can still sing the opening theme!

o

• Posted by Nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 11, 05 at 12:43

Every year the WKRP "turkey episode" comes up in conversation. I believe it was voted the funniest episode of a sit com ever shown on TV on one of those top "whatever" specials they do once in a while and I totally agree.

At the time I sang to the theme songs to those old shows. The words to WKRP song:

Baby, if you've ever wondered,
Wondered whatever became of me,
I'm living on the air in Cincinnati,
Cincinnati, WKRP.
Got kind of tired packing and unpacking,
Town to town and up and down the dial
Maybe you and me were never meant to be,
But baby think of me once in awhile.
I'm at WKRP in Cincinnati..

Have you ever heard a bunch of men break into a chorus of Beveryly Hillbillies? I have and it's scary!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here