Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedbandito

Favorite Christmas memories......(image intensive)

seedbandito
18 years ago

As a child, (and even as an adult) I was always closet to my father. He was such a kind and gentle, loving soul. Never had an ugly word to say about anyone.

Every Christmas, my folks would make a ton of fudge of 100's of popcorn balls. Dad was into model railroading. So every Christmas, he'd put up a 4' x 16' platform under the tree. I would help him lay down the green "grass" paper and lay the track.

Then after us girls were shipped off the bed, he worked feverishly through the night assembling toys and finishing up the train set. He'd put out all the little houses, people, matchbox cars, trees (which were weeds painted green), street light and traffic lights... the list goes on. He'd even string all the telephone poles with thread to make them look real.

I don't have any images of dad's train set, so here's some of mine... Sorry I didn't downsize them, this way you can see the detail...

{{gwi:335645}}
{{gwi:335647}}
{{gwi:335649}}
{{gwi:335650}}
{{gwi:335651}}
Here's a shot using existing light with the shutter wide open:

{{gwi:335652}}

And here's my daddy:

{{gwi:335653}}

I haven't been able to bring myself to put up the train set since my father passed away. It's just not the same with out him. I'm thinking maybe next year I may put it up so my new family can see it. DH will not believe it.

I even have teenie tiny fire hydrants, trash cans and telephone booths!!!

I never really appreciated how much time and work went into it until I did it myself. I don't know how that man did it in one night... it took me nearly a week to put it all up.

I had 2 trains and a trolly car. Dad was running a big 'ol American Flyer train that huffed smoke and had a whistle. Gosh how I miss the sound of the whistle!

I just wanted to share my Christmas' past. Hope all your Christmas' are happy and safe! Merry Christmas every one!

Merry Christmas Daddy!!! I love you!

Nancy

Comments (6)

• summerfireflys
    18 years ago

Hello Nancy
    what a great story. and what a great train set and town. WOW
    merry xmas
    jessica

• bev1951
    18 years ago

Hi Nancy, Wow is right that is a great train set with all the trimmings. Made me think of our old Lionel train set. We only got it out at Christmas to go around the tree but it was such fun. I think ( & hope ) my brother has it. Thanks for helping me bring back an almost forgotten memory. Bev

• flowerchildky
    18 years ago

Wow Nancy! beautiful pictures! What wonderful memories you have- thanks for sharing.

My Dad left us so many wonderful memories too :)) That's what we hope for- when we leave this life, to not have sorrow, but happy times remembered! So, put up that train set, and smile- maybe a tear or two (that's ok)

I try to make fun/loving memories for my family.

Merry Christmas!
    Linda in Louisville

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

nancy,

thank you so much for sharing your wonderful memory, story and father.

i miss my dad as well, and so miss his touches to each and every holiday.

break it out, share it with those you love. carry on his tradition and add your own touches. i agree it won't be the same, but your heart will be glowing with each piece of track you lay and structure you put up.

thanks again for your wonderful memory.

earthly

• not_a_contessa
    18 years ago

It's all about the memories, and thank you so much for sharing yours. What a great train layout, that's something I would have loved. I go to the local train club shows even though I don't have a train one of my own.

I carry on as many of my family's traditions as I can, and I have started a few of my own and adopted a few of my ex's family's too, because they are my daughters' memories.

It can be a lot of work, especially when I'm not really up to it, but I can't even begin to describe the amount of satisfaction I get when I serve the foods my family looks forward to as part of their Christmas celebration. So I'll cook until I drop, and ship to those who aren't close by. In the meantime, I'll dream of that passenger train set from the 40's or 50's, the one where the cars light up and you can see silhouettes of the passengers.

I can still see my Mom and Dad working together in the kitchen making dozens of ravioli and honey balls, and I remember my grandmother making pickled peppers when I was really little. Funny how those are still some of my favorite things. To this day, if I want them I must make them myself, the stores' just don't taste the same.

Your train set will be the gift of Christmas memories you give to your own family, something more precious than anything you could buy for them. They are very fortunate indeed.

Merry Christmas,
    Mary

• bulbs
    18 years ago

Neat pics of train set.

I don't have one - and my family didn't either. But one of my memories has to do with not putting up Chris.dec's until after my birthday (12/12) - because that was the day the FFA Club at our school (and my father was the teacher in charge of it) opened their Christmas Tree Stand every year. Back then most people put up REAL trees, and not early like they do now!

And I used to help make the wreaths, yule-logs, etc. Loved it!

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional