Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richdelmo

Good bye Dad

richdelmo
15 years ago

My dad passed away Monday evening after a short but very tough battle with ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease. He was 89 and lived a good life. He tried so hard to adapt to life style changes this disease brought to him. He fought harder than you could imagine but this brutal disease never loses. He will be sorely missed.

Comments (30)

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry, Rich.

Karen

• seedmama
    15 years ago

Rich, I'm so sorry. Perhaps you can winter sow something known for its adaptability in his honor?

Seedmama

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Thinking of you.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Rich, I'm so sorry. It's so hard to let go of the old folks in our lives, I'm sure you'll miss him always. Please take some comfort in knowing he is beyond the reach of this terrible illness - my neighbor lost her mother to ALS a few years ago and it's a particularly difficult disease. I extend my sincere sympathy to you and your family.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Blessings for you and your family.
    Bonnie

• ghoghunter
    15 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Joann

• patrushka
    15 years ago

Rich, I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending prayers and comforting thoughts your way.

I lost my dad in 2005 and discovered winter sowing that winter. My dad loved to grow things from seed so winter sowing is a way for me to remember and connect to him.

• ronald
    15 years ago

Rich
    It always a very bad time when we lose our parents.
    No words can sooth the pain. He is now in a better place.
    My thoughts are with you.
    Ron

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

The loss of a parent is a great sadness. I send my thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
    Bobbie

• wendeyzee
    15 years ago

Big Hugs Rich,
    I'm sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you!!
    Wendey

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Rich,
    I have never 'spoken' to you before, but I want to offer my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your Father. My sympathies to you and all who loved him.
    gg

• cloud_9
    15 years ago

Rich - I'm so sorry for your loss. Hold tight to precious memories. (((Rich)))
    Debra

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Dear Rich,

I truly hope that you find comfort in your memories of such a precious father. My deepest sympathies go out to you and your loved ones.

Nicole.

• not_a_contessa
    15 years ago

Rich, you're in our thoughts at this sad time.

Mary

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Rich,

You are in my thoughts as well. Plant a garden in his memory, plants that will remind you of your father and the love you have for him.

Fran

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

(((((RICH))))) hugs to ya,
    My Dad passed 2 years ago from a 9 month battle with cancer, (it still hurts) I also just lost one of my best friends to cancer last week, she was only 59 "( They will always be with us in our hearts & in spirit, & we will see then again in a better place.
    Jan

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Ron,

Thank you for sharing about the loss of your Dad. My father passed away suddenly a couple of months ago, and I am still dealing grieving, so I know how much it means to have the thoughts and prayers of those you are close to.

I will add you to my prayer list.

Bonnie

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Rich, I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you, your family, and all who knew and loved your father.

God bless,
    Dee

• pitimpinai
    15 years ago

So very sorry for your loss, Rich.
    My thoughts are with you.

• girlgardener_2007
    15 years ago

Rich, my prayers are for, may God bless and keep you in peace.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Rich,

I am so sorry for the loss of your father..Big Hug to you from WI ....Barb

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

Rich, I too don't "know" you but know the loss of a parent.

That is what led me to gardening and I feel my mother with me doing anything that brings something of beauty to life.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

It's very hard but we can't change it. I hold tight (probably too tight) to my Dad. When they're of the "very good guy" kind it's hard to think of life without them.

Hang in there and may you find solace in things that bring joy into your life.

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've lost both my folks, Pop has been gone nearly twenty years and Mom over ten. There is recovery, there will be bad days for you in the next few years, but over time the tears and agony seem to come less and not hurt so deeply, you recover quicker from the wound of emptiness.

Planting a memorial garden or tree and/or making truly beneficial donations in your father's name will help fill a lot of the void.

• laura_in_cinti
    15 years ago

So sorry to hear about your dad. Know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. --Laura

• albertar
    15 years ago

My deepest condolences to you and your family Rich.

Alberta

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Rich, I'm saying a prayer for your family. Nikki

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. Yesterday the military played taps at the funeral and presented me with a folded American flag. Dad served in the army and earned a purple heart in WWII, the presentation was so moving. Thank you again and may good health and peace be with you and your families.

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I am sorry for your loss and hope that fond memories bring peace in your heart.

• carrie630
    15 years ago

Rich - My heart goes out to you and your family - I am so sorry for your Dad's passing......

Love, Carrie

• moonphase
    15 years ago

Rich,I am so sorry to come here and read this about your dad passing.I lost my bro in 2004 also to this terrible disease.I was thankful he never had to suffer long,as I have seen some pts. do.You and your family will surely be in my prayers.God will surely give you the help you need.
    moonphase

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional