Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Yeah! No more dialup!

vera_eastern_wa
17 years ago

My upgraded phone is coming UPS today and I am signed up for the broadband internet service. This phone has a modem and to use it all I need do is plug my phone into the USB port! How sweet is that? I'm with sprint.

Also this phone is part of the 'RED' movement and will pay for AIDS medication in Africa.

Bono and the Red movement will be airing again today on Oprah if you missed it

Vera

Comments (12)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Oh my goodness! I can feel your excitement and am so excited for you.

Hope all goes well and it all works.

I 'thought' I was getting high speed way back in Aug, and there was a $500 and 50 ft pole beside the house snaffu, so I didn't end up getting it.

Please post once it's done.

Sue

17 years ago

Well, didja get it?

Details please. Loving it?

Sue

• ilsa
    17 years ago

Vera - you have mail.

Ilsa

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Congrats Vera!
    I wish it would come my way....no relay stations close enough. boo-hoo.

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

Good stuff, huh, Vera. Congrats! It really is fun, isn't it?

I got DSL early this year. Came through SBC. Fast enough for me and only $12.99/month for 12 months. Not bad. Check out DSL, Kat. It's is faster than dial up and does not break the bank.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

I can't get service out here in the boonies...apparently there needs to be a relay station within a certain distance and it is not cost effective to place them in the remote rural areas.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ilsa,

I didnt get your email because Gardenweb wasn't allowing me to change my expired address.
    Email me at la_raspberry@yahoo.com or hotmail.com :D

I am currently hooked up as of this morning using my phone as modem!! Much better indeed! Webkat,we are rural here too about 33 miles from the Spokane city line. On dial up we could only connect at 28.8 with a 56k modem...slower than all get-out. We had cable at one time, but even their cable kept getting blown down from the pole. Since their company is located in Idaho it a pain in the you know what to get them up here in reasonable time.
    Sprint service is the ONLY cell company that gets good service up here; never had a dropped signal. Funny Verizon is our main landline company yet forget about cell service!! Go figure.
    My new phone is a Sprint Power Vision Motorazr (Motorola)V3m Red. Cool thing too is that this USB connection also acts as a battery charger while I hook up LOL!! SWEET!

Vera

• ilsa
    17 years ago

Vera - sorry it took so long to get back - Holidays have been crazy, as I'm sure they have been for everyone. I was just going to let you know that, if you have any problems using your phone as a modem, let me know & I'll be happy to help. Sprint wireless data is kinda my "gig".

I'm jealous, tho - those red RAZRs aren't available to employees, yet. They're pretty slick!

Ilsa

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Very jealous Vera. We're still waiting here. We have a slow dial up connection but the most frustrating part is that I can see the box from my window that was put in almost two years ago and the #&^#%@D have never activated it. We've made multiple phone calls and every time we're told "soon" and also told once that there aren't enough houses around. That's very discouraging because the way the land is divided up, it won't be any more densely populated in 10 years.
    Told my dh who wants high speed internet even more than I do that he needs to draw some media attention, sit on the box naked or something, until SBC activates it.

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Santa brought me DSL for Christmas too. It is so fantastic, but it makes me even more addicted to gardening via the computer...

GGG :)

16 years ago

I got Broadband Wireless (and the $500 50'pole) last Friday...an early Christmas gift to myself I'm calling it. I figured it was the 'only' way of getting/having some decent faster service.

I had phone line woes, and a horrid experience with Wild Blue satellite, so now I am just loving this new fast reliable service.

Woohoo!

Sue

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well an update. My Red Razr only worked for about a month, and then it went stupid. I fought with sprint forever and ever, but now I have the Sanyo M1 (still with sprint) and it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better as a phone as modem plus I have 1gb space for music and pics. Camera phone isn't have bad...well you've seem my pics :D

Vera

Sponsored
Home Improvement Team of Richmond (H.I.T.)
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Building Solid, Beautiful & Unique Living Spaces in Henrico County, VA