Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

Individual serving coffee maker

kqcrna
15 years ago

I had a Senseo pot, which I liked OK, but I broke it. (my fault). It did work well for a few years, pods were readily available at groceries around here. Recently I've had trouble finding pods anyway. Now I want a replacement, probably not Senseo simply because pods aren't easy to find.

Considerations would be cost of the pot, cost of pods or cups, and availability of replacement pods or cups locally.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks,

Karen

Comments (20)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Ooooops! I thought my 12 cup coffee maker WAS and individual serving coffee maker, LOL!

Bonnie

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Gevalia sometimes offers "free" coffee pots with your first coffee order. You dont get stuck in a contract either, one order is fine.

I got one that has a cup on each side and can make one or two individual servings directly in the mug. You dont need pods, just regular coffee and filters and use a smaller amount.

Now, tho, Im using a 4 cup pot, and with the big cups I have, its two servings and fine for me.

Just an opinion here. I one of those people that are dragging the economy down by not spending!!!! I saw those new individual servings at costco, they were like 150 bucks!!! Im too much a cheapskate for that! Geez, Even if I only drink 2 of the four servings and waste* some coffee grounds-- 150 bucks will stretch alooooooooooong way.

*no really waste--it goes in the compost anyway, right?

• dorisl
    15 years ago

ooooooops, I jsut looked at the website and they're just offering a regular size pot this time.

sorry.

:)

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Bonnie and Dorisl. I, too, was appalled at the price of some of the single-serve pots, part of the reason I was asking for opinions.

My Senseo didn't cost anywhere near that. But I know the Keurig is around $150. I was looking for something a little cheaper which would still make a good cuppa joe. I use a 12 cup Krups coffee pot every morning. But sometimes, in the evening, especially in winter, just one cup would be good. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

Any other input welcome.

Karen

• dorisl
    15 years ago

You know, Karen, now that I think aobut it, Folgers makes those "coffee bags", they're real coffee, just in a teabag like thingy. They were ok, not gourmet coffee or anything, but good enough.

• token28001
    15 years ago

I use an espresso machine. I put Folgers in it on occasion when I want a "weaker" cup of coffee like after dinner. It works fine. I think it actually has more flavor since the coffee is brewed with steam rather than hot water. It makes one normal size cup.

I got mine at Target for about $30. It's the same idea as those machines that use pods. I just use regular coffee. one heaping tablespoon.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I tried those Folger's "coffee bags" a few years ago and didn't like them at all. Thought they tasted like instant Sanka, circa 1960s.

Token: I never even considered an espresso pot. I usually don't like espresso, I do like strong coffee but espresso generally too strong for me. Are they limited to those teeny tiny cup sizes of brew? Or can you make a bigger cup? I never considered that regular coffee could be used in one, either. Interesting thought.

Karen

• token28001
    15 years ago

I make what I would call an "adult" cup of coffee. The measuring cup tells me the machine holds just over 1.5 cups. BUT, that little glass carafe that comes with the machine doesn't. So I dropped mine the first week I had it and found a stainless steel "cup" with a handle that does. It's the cup normally used to steam milk for cappuccinos. I find that when I fill it to the top, pour it in the espresso machine, add my coffee to the little cup, and turn it on, I have enough time to feed the cats, start up the computer, stare at the garden trying to figure out where all the squirrels went, and make it back to the kitchen as it's finishing up.

If you don't like espresso, just buy regular coffee. For guests, I use Folgers. I've tried some of the dark and medium brews, but they're not that good. I prefer the French roast in this machine. I've used Maxwell House on occasion too. I just prefer espresso and buy Cafe Bustelo. Even flavored coffee comes out nice and tasty.

• token28001
    15 years ago

Keurig Elite Gourmet Single Cup Coffee Maker

Same thing as my $30 espresso machine, but you add the coffee in scoops rather than buy their little pods.

You'll also use a lot less coffee in the espresso machine. One heaping tablespoon per cup. For the same strength, I'd use three in a 4-cup coffee maker.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, token. Getting close to Christmas now and I'm pretty busy. After the holidays are over I'm going to look into an espresso machine. In fact, my son had one in college which might still be in my basement. Of course, that will be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Again, thanks for the info.

Karen

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Karen,

"...instant Sanka, circa 1960s." Boy that brings back memories!!!! LOL!

Thanks for my morning chuckle! Oh, and Happy Solstice!

• lgslgs
    15 years ago

Karen, you might want to look into the Aero press. I just included the Amazon link but a web search should give you some really good info about it.

If you combine an Aeropress with a nice hot water unit (like one of the Zojirushi ones) it's really quick to get a top notch cup of coffee.

Lynda

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeropress

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Lynda, your post shocked me. I guess I pictured you living out in the middle of nowhere, boiling coffee in a beat-up metal pot on a wood fire, like in cowboy movies. This stuff is pretty high-tech. I had to google the Zojirushi unit as well as the aeropress, didn't know what either was.

Actually, buying both of those would be pretty pricey, and looks like lots of parts to wash for a single cup of coffee. Not what I had in mind but thanks for educating me. I was wanting something like a Keurig or Senseo- put water in a tank, coffee in a filter, and brew into the drinking cup. And no cleanup but a coffee mug.

Thanks for your input, though.

Karen

• lgslgs
    15 years ago

Karen, we've got to have one or two high tech time savers to give us more time to do everything else stone age style!

One of our best big-city type toys is the Zojirushi induction rice maker. We usually keep about a dozen types of rices on hand and dinner is often fresh garden veg over rice. Zoey the rice cooker can handle all of the different types and has top notch delayed start and keep warm features. It takes about 30 seconds to put on the rice and then it will be ready whenever we finally finish up with outdoor work.

But aside from the two Zoeys your picture of our lifestyle is still accurate. Your pal Buster the goat is on the porch peeking in the kitchen window and we're stocking up on worn out tires to set up some more tire gardens this year.

Lynda

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I cook rice--- on the stove in a Farberware pot (part of a set) that was a wedding gift 29 years ago. Works for me.

Was hoping I'd see the Keurig pot on some online super duper after Christmas sale but no luck. Seems I'd have to put out big bucks for it. Best I've seen is BedBathandBeyond with one of their 20% off coupons. I do drink the Keurig coffee occasionally @ work and have to say it's pretty good. Also like the fact that I could get the reuseable filter and use my own coffee.

Maybe Buster is peeking in because he smells the rice cooking. Or he wants a cup of aeropress java.

Karen

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update: In my coffee lust, I broke down and bought a Keurig, using the 20% off coupon @ BedBathandBeyond. Also got some disposable K-cups and the reusable filter in which I can use my own coffee.

Thanks for all the input.

Karen

• lgslgs
    15 years ago

Oh good! It should be nice for you to have your coffee situation all sorted out. Now you can get back to sipping instead of shopping. That's much more fun. :)

Enjoy!

Lynda

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Why don't you all try a French Press? It can make from 2-4 cups very easily. And, it's cheap. Just boil water, pour it over the grounds, stir, wait 4 minutes and voila! It will be the best tasting coffee you have ever had.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Lynda- Actually, now she can do both! Sipping & (seed) shopping!

Not that it matters now, but we have a little mini 4C Mr. Coffee Maker. $25 at Kohl's and WAY cheaper than throwing out 1/2 a bag of coffee (DH would make a full 12C pot, and drink not even 1/2 of it...even when I Sharpie-markered the directions for making 1/2 a pot ONTO the coffee maker!)

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do have the reusable filter and I use my own coffee. Sometimes I buy the K cups when I find a flavor I like and they're on sale. Macy's had really good deals on them at Christmas time and I bought some then.

Karen

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County