Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Any Sweet Pea lovers/addicts/collectors here maybe?

I recently asked about this at Seed X Conv, but only got one reply there.

Anyone a sweet pea lover or collector?

Has anyone ever ordered from Fragrant Garden Nursery linked below? Beware of looking if you don't need/want another addiction.

I recently heard from a friend that she and others had poor germination of SP. At the link page linked below you will see a link that says Culture. Click on that and then click on Getting Started. There are 3 methods listed and handy tips for getting them to germinate better.

Sue...an addict

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant Garden Nursery Sweet Peas!

Comments (14)

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Never grown them, but have envied the posts about their sweetness and flowers.

Convince me!

• laperouse
    16 years ago

Hi sue.

I need no convincing - they are a sweet (and very fragrant) memory of my childhood and I plan to grow them in the future. I just have to create the right space for them. Do you happen to know if they are relatively deer and woodchuck proof?

Thanks for the site btw. I will definitely be ordering in the future!
    oh, and have you ws'ed them? Since they need to be planted very deep I was wondering how that would pan out.

• lblack61
    16 years ago

I do love them, but I've yet to find out how to get a huge bunch of them in one place, to get the "big effect". But it's amazing how much scent one plant can give off. So I sow them even if I don't get the presentation I'd like from them. The scent more than makes up for it.

Linda

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Convince me!

Bakemom,
    Did you look at the site? I'd think browsing all their pages of their on line catalog would have convinced you.

I'm going to be getting an order together, and need to try and make up my mind...which is going to be quite hard.
    Here are many of the things that describe several of the different varieties.

Gorgeous
    Exceptionally strong and vigorous plants. The size of the flowers amazed visitors at our trials.
    Large frilly flowers on long sturdy stems.
    Flowers are somewhat smaller, but are borne in profusion.
    reliable bloomer
    Wonderfully fragrant
    Large ruffled blooms on long, strong stems
    Extremely fragrant sweet pea.
    very large flowers. Excellent for garden growing and exhibition.
    Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials, 2002.
    blooms on a long strong stem
    large and fragrant
    A marvelous grower and an excellent cut flower.
    Lovely show winning sweet pea
    Popular at our summer trials
    Blooms hold up well in the sun, resisting fade.
    It won 2 first place prizes at the National Show in England. Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials, 1994
    Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials, 1999
    Hugh flowers make this sweet pea ideal for floral decorations. A winner on the show bench. Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials, 1994
    One of the most popular sweet peas in England among exhibitors.
    The color will not bleach or fade in the hottest sunshine. Flowers are gracefully waved.
    a real eye catcher.
    Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials, 1994
    Vigorous plants. Long stems.
    popular on the show bench. Spectacular color. Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials, 1998
    Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials, 2000
    Unusual color
    long stemmed
    Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials, 1996
    Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials, 2004
    Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials, 2002.
    Superfine - Glittering salmon pink on white.

And those are just the descriptions on some of the whites and pinks.

Need I say more. How will I ever decide?

Sue

Original Author
    16 years ago

oh, and have you ws'ed them? Since they need to be planted very deep I was wondering how that would pan out.

I've never WS'ed them or ever even grown any myself.

The info from the link below suggest soaking the seeds to hasten germination, and/or slightly chip the seed on the opposite end of the eye. I'm thinking I may do both, and then sow them 1 1/2 -- 2" deep in the containers about early March.

lblack61,
    When and how do you do yours in zone 5?

Do you happen to know if they are relatively deer and woodchuck proof?
    I'm clueless. Sorry.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting Started and Germination

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

I just might try them again this year but will have to really think of where to place them. These would definitely be loved by deer, Linda. Peas are the first things to be devoured by the deers in our gardens! They pull the plants right out of the ground.

• lblack61
    16 years ago

Chem,
    I've Wsed them and direct sowed them. Both were successful.
    I think I'm going to WS them this year. Perhaps if I use a large jug and sow several seeds in one jug, I could just cut the lid of the top of the jug, make the bottom holes bigger, and just set the hole thing in the ground...maybe that will help me get that "massing" affect.
    I think I WSed them in Feb or March when I did them. I direct sowed them last year in Spring and in Summer-- but I think a lot of the seeds got eaten by non-pet critters or displaced by dogs and cats.

Linda

• laperouse
    16 years ago

I wonder if the deer would actually go for sweet peas. Although in the same family as edible peas (Fabaceae), sweet peas are a different genus (Lathyrus) as opposed to Pisum for edible peas and as far as I remember the fruit of Lathyrus is actually poisonous. I don't know about the foliage and flowers, though.

I like the idea, Linda, of direct-sowing them and using a jug to protect them. Might just try that.

And now I'll take leave and go browse on the website Chem provided us all with!

Marianne

• paddlehikeva
    16 years ago

I never had very much success direct sowing them. I had the best success by planting 3-4 seeds in 16 oz recycled Styrofoam cups (soil nearly to the top) with an inverted plastic cocktail glass taped onto the top. If you plant too early the seeds will rot. When the plants are just a couple of inches tall, I plant the plugs close together to get the mass effect. Sweet peas do not like to have their roots disturbed so jugs do not work very well. They grow long roots before the leaves start to emerge, so deep cups are best. Unfortunately it has become a rare thing that Virginia has the cool, wet springs which allow the sweet peas to thrive.

Kathy, who is trying her best not to look at the hyperlink Sue posted

Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Kathy, don't you deserve some eye-candy? Go take a look. Don't you really want to see those that earned the Award of Garden Merit, Wisley Trials for so many different years and how 'special' they must be?

Sue...hoping to find or enable some other addicts

Thanks also for the planting tips/ideas. I think I will start some numerous ways at numerous times

• mechele211
    14 years ago

Sue, I found this thread while searching for info on winter sowing sweet peas, which I will be doing for the first time soon. I'm wondering what your experiences were. Did you find them easy to grow? (Assuming you were able to narrow down your selection and actually make a decision on what to order.)

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Sue, last year I did a combo of "high scent" and "cupani". This year I'm doing "high scent" again and a mix from botanical interest called "singing the blues"
    {{gwi:335734}}
    {{gwi:335735}}
    {{gwi:335736}}
    Looking at all three I think I'll order cupani again!
    I had alot of luck starting them in gallon nursery pots then once things got going I put them on the north side of the fence. Living up here in the cold cold north they stayed cool enough all summer long but I don't thing I'd try that any further south-they like cool roots like clematis.
    -B

• quilt_mommy
    14 years ago

Oh are those some gorgeous pictures of sweet peas...I just love them.

I grew sweet peas for the first time last year...they were packages sold from Family Dollar 3/$1 or 33cents a pack. Here's a link to my blog with a picture of them towards the end of July after I did a massive cutting of them. There were just tons of blooms. I pulled them out in August, they were still blooming but got so top heavy and stringy they started to look a little too wild, but I think they might have lasted until fall had I left them.

http://pumpkinpatchquilter.blogspot.com/2010/01/let-winter-sowing-begin.html

Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm wondering what your experiences were. Did you find them easy to grow? (Assuming you were able to narrow down your selection and actually make a decision on what to order.)
    I never ended up ordering any from that site, but 'might' sometime in the far off future.

I have yet to try and grow any. I have several varieties that now have some age on them and received in some wonderful new (to me) varieties from a recent swap. I will for sure be growing some this year, but am not sure just when or how I will start them. I might try a couple of different ways to assure I get some of the 'older' seeds going.

Sue...an awful procrastinator

Sponsored