Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Computer Problems

bakemom_gw
17 years ago

Hey folks, I am at wits end. Seems something got into my system and knocked out a bunch of .exe files including AOL. I am on my son's computer. I tried to re-install and then planned to download Stinger, but the computer would not download AOL.

This appears to have happened when I disabled McAfee to install AOL security. When I realized what a pain AOL security was, I deleted that and when I re-booted - ZAP.

I'm thinking about calling the Geek Squad or taking the computer in somewhere for repair. Any suggestions?

Comments (13)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Everyone I know who takes their computer in for such things always get charged $200, or $250, and then they still claim that things aren't all right....or as they were b4.

Why not ask the folks at Computer Help. They are a great bunch, and have helped me too many times to even count...lol

Let them know what operating system you have, along with what kind of computer.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Help Forum

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

AOL has a way of embedding files on the hard-drive...they may appear to have gone, but they are still lurking in the background. For virus protection we use AVAST Home Edition 4.7 ( free download).

Vera

Here is a link that might be useful: Avast

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

If you have XP check it out!
    I just downloaded it and totally improved the speed of this puter! Alot of the lagging I was getting has gone bye bye :D
    It's a free download called RegscrubXP; removes 'junk' from the registry allowing the computer to run more smoothly. I wonder if your AOL 'ghosts files' are still on the registry and not allowing you to re-install?

Here is a link that might be useful: RegScrubXP

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Hey Vera- thanks for that! I have XP at home, and although I'm certain my culprits are/were Norton and a Train Simulator game (uninstalled that already; Norton still there), I'll check out that RegScrub for sure!

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can't download anything because I can't get onto AOL.

• mnwsgal
    17 years ago

Can you download onto your son's computer then put on disc or CD or USB flash drive then transfer the file to your computer and install?
    Bobbie

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

Took the words right out of my mouth!

A caution about RegscrubXP....be sure to let IT do the scrub vs. you doing a manual scrub especially if you are not extermely familiar with the registry garbo. I also went and downloaded CCleaner...it kinda does what Regscrub does, but is safter too use more often. Also cleans up tracking cookies, Internet history, temp files, ect....
    Am currently updating my Windows Defender and the Beta2 version will expire December 31. Download at Microsoft.com

More about Ccleaner....

Here is a link that might be useful: CCleaner.com

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

Forgot to mention that with CCleaner you can run an the analize opition to preview what all will be deleted and then go thru the list and pick and choose those cookies you want to exclude (if I remember right those exclusions will be remembered). For instance you may not want to rid of your log in cookies to Gardenweb, Gardenguides, ect. ect. unless you have all this stuff stored in your head. I went ahead and deleted them all, expect for the few sites that made me use passwords I had no say in :D

Vera

• netwiz
    17 years ago

Vera,

I downloaded RegScrubXP but seem to be confused on how it works. I ran RegScrubXP Finds Problems which found 335 problems. There is nothing listed in the main section of the program (I expected the problems to be listed.) The only button om the bottom of the screen that is active is Exit. I thought it might have automatically fixed the problems so I ran it again to see what happened. It found 335 problems again and still did not list anything. How did you get yours to fix everything? Thanks!!

Joanne

• MLcom
    17 years ago

Hey same thing hit my sons. IE he downloaded a trojan virus. To fix it new hard drive. Best buys charges a arm and a leg to give you the bad news. I have not been able to log on here seems like forever. Like over 6 months. Cant belive got in today.

The trojan Virus kept any fixes from working aol's included. It stinks if you can not restore and any loss info etc.

ML

• Margaret6a
    17 years ago

Bakemom,
    I have been worrying about you because I emailed you for your addy. I have some seeds I want to send to you to share with others, (as you so graciously do). If you can send it to me, please do so. I'm sorry you've been having computer problems as I have too. Picture the guy using the sledge hammer on his-that is how I have felt. Margaret

• ravin923
    16 years ago

hi can anyone please help me my keys on my laptop is not working does anyone have any idea on what might be wrong.
    thank you

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

ravin, you can try this trick that a dell repair tech showed me. It may work and it may not. If it does work it's because some crumbs or dust got into the keyboard. If it doesn't work, then it means you need a new keyboard for you laptop. they don't usually last that long if you use it all the time.

Open the laptop and have it turned on. If you can run it with the battery it's best to do it with the battery use.

Carefully pick up the computer while it is open and turn it upside down while you are holding it. Give it a good shake with the cover open, kind of like up and down and side to side.

then turn it over and place it down on the table or where ever you use it. Check to see if the keys will work.

Good luck

Fran

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia